Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about this one

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by brad daggy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. brad daggy

brad daggy Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks for helping with blending. Now how about selecting multi-layers and creating new layer via copy. Photo shop won't let me.

Tags:
  2. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

No problem... if I understand you correctly, you want to merge a bunch of layers, but still leave a copy of the original layers in tact?

I would duplicate the layers, then select one copy of each layer and create a smart object.

Then you can edit the smart object seperately. The smart object (including all of the layers inside) are treated as one layer.

3. graphixtogo

graphixtogo Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Kevil, KY
    To make a new layer from several other layers (one flat layer, not a smart object)...

Hide any layers you don't want in the new layer

Select the topmost layer in the layers palette

Use keyboard shortcut Shift/Option/Command/E (Shift/Ctrl/Alt/E on pc, I think)​

This will create a new layer containing only the visible layers in the document.

One thing to remember, this layer will be the new topmost layer (covering all the others) and if you try to edit the other layers, you will pull your hair out trying to understand why none of your changes are working unless you remember to hide this new layer!

I use this all the time. Works great for me!

:thumb: