• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How are these made?

Signed Out

Looking to bid on some of these crosswalk signs, and trying to figure out if it would make sense to keep them in house.

What is the normal means of producing these? The fluorescent yellow-green and white parts are DG3 reflective, and the black and red parts seem to be opaque.

Can the yellow-green part be printed onto the white DG3, or can you use an overlay film? Or would you have to layer the white DG3 film over the yellow-green DG3 film?

crosswalk.jpg

The red is a 3m EC Transparent Type Film (allows it to be dg relective with), The Diamond Grade Three Yellow Green cant be printed, its florescent. the black is opaque. and i would cut the white DG or high intensity white (whatever they spec) by hand, i cut a scrap vinyl template and lay out dg film and then hand cut it out and peel the black off. unless you think your plotter can cut it of course all though i wouldn't put it through it. they you can layer it as needed.

J Hill Designs

3M Process Colour Series 880I is designed as part
of the 3M™ MCS™ (Matched Component
System) for screen printing onto both applied and
unapplied 3M™ High Intensity Grade Sheeting
Series 3860, 3870 and 5870 or 3M™ Diamond
Grade™ Sheeting Series 3970 and 3990.

doubt its layered DG/trans

Signed Out

I figured the DG3 would have to be layered and not printable. But hand cutting? Wouldn't have thought that, never worked with DG3 before, must be some pretty tough stuff. Looks like farming out might be the way to go. Any suggestions who to use? Grimco has them but hopping to find a better price.

I figured the DG3 would have to be layered and not printable. But hand cutting? Wouldn't have thought that, never worked with DG3 before, must be some pretty tough stuff. Looks like farming out might be the way to go. Any suggestions who to use? Grimco has them but hopping to find a better price.[/QUOTE

yeah hand cut that white, unless you got a bad boy plotter that can cut it, its super thick, a former shop i worked at claimed there was a plotter to cut that DG and HIW, but idk

Farming out is prob best, dg and dg3 are up there in the price spectrum and something you may not need again. you could try Paynes Signs and Traffic Supplies in VA

http://payneslinesandsigns.com/

jfiscus

Rap Master
Reflexite (now owned by Oracal) has a material that is just as "reflective" (or whatever the standard name is) as 3M's (proprietary) material called Diamond Grade.
It is printable, but achieving the "green" may be impossible without a printer that doesn't have a green ink cart. (cmyk aint gonna cut it)

Most highway signage is layered, but a smaller sign like this is more "municipal" and can be changed if the specs of the bid & customer allow for producing it that way.

Mattshel

We have brought some of these through our shop before and they are screen printed. The overlay films are nice to work with but aren't very economical in terms of labour or price when you compare it to screen printing.