• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How are you trimming your 8 ft length Photo tex wall murals?

MikePro

No, we just hold a straight edge on the wall and cut it that way.

As far as cutting into the wall, it's sort of like trimming a wrap on a car... Sharp blade and just enough pressure. It's wise to tell customers you have to trim on the wall to an extent, and realistically they should expect a minimal amount of repair and touchup work when the graphic is removed.
+1
I do this for wallpaper murals, as I never trust an overlapped seam unless its vinyl/vinyl.

Dan Berg

Do people have a problem with overlaping phototex seams lifting ?
Everything I have read says overlap 1/2" to 1'?

Thanks for all the help with a cutter.

You do not need to overlap Photo Tex - it will not shrink over time in any temperature change. overlapping does make installation easier and I like INSIGNIA suggestion:

With Phototex, you'll get a much nicer installation if you increase your overlap to 3/4" or 1" and double-cut the seam once applied (meaning cut down the middle of the overlap through both layers, and then pull up the underlying and overlying overlapped pieces, re-squeegee, and you're left with a perfect butt joint. Phototex is not 100% opaque so overlapped seams will stand out.

Photo Tex is also CPSIA Compliant and passed 2 major safety test in USA and EUROPE as a non-toxic substance.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
With Phototex, you'll get a much nicer installation if you increase your overlap to 3/4" or 1" and double-cut the seam once applied (meaning cut down the middle of the overlap through both layers, and then pull up the underlying and overlying overlapped pieces, re-squeegee, and you're left with a perfect butt joint. Phototex is not 100% opaque so overlapped seams will stand out.

Doing this also requires a less perfect trim on the panels, a ruler and Xacto are all you need.

awesome advice i put to work on this 17' x 26' photo tex print & install.

texas map.jpg

thanks for your help insignia!

i've been printing for about 12 years now, and this stuff is the bomb!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
was very impressed with the way it prints, installs, and removes. I'll definitely be adding this product to our line up.

i was giddy installing it yesterday. i've been doing this so long -having fun was replaced by getting checks.... - this product made me happy.

it really is unreal how well it works. i told my partner - if there was a job just installing phototex, i'd take it....

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i bought a felt squeegee, but ended up just smothering my hands all over it...

it really goes on that easy...

autumn06s

+1

Doing this also requires a less perfect trim on the panels, a ruler and Xacto are all you need.

Hi I am just wondering, if phototex does not shrink, why can't we just print and butt join? Is there really the need for overlap and even double cut the seam once applied?

I am thinking of butt joining my photo tex murals, any one doing that here?

:help

JoshLoring

I have phototex in my entire office. This stuff is amazing and you can install it by hand with no squeegee. We use 1" overlap.

Also, for the trimming we have a 20" prep table we built with the entire top made of .375" tempered glass. This works great for cutting and stainless blades won't even scratch it. Any vinyl remnants can be scraped off with a razor scrapper and windex cleans it like new. Yes, tempered glass is expensive but I've had the same glass 6 years with no issues where others with those "cut sheets" have to replace them. Our table plus a aluminum sided 7' cut guide and we cut the wall wraps and vehicle wrap seams perfect.