• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How best to install wide window perf????

soundhound

I need to install some 6 foot wide by about 5 foot tall window perfs. They are not laminated, and bleed on all sides.

Also 6 foot by 2 foot perfs almost on the ground.

Best way? Wet or Dry? What kind of squeegee?

There are 4 of each. What to charge for the installation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

CanuckSigns

why on earth would you wet install perf?!?

non laminated perf is pretty much the easiest product to install, 0% chance of bubbles.

oksigns

I need to install some 6 foot wide by about 5 foot tall window perfs. They are not laminated, and bleed on all sides.

Thanks

I've never done it wet, but for wide projects, I apply side ways(left to right) as opposed to top to bottom. I hang the whole thing using a series of vertical tape-offs that help subdivided the panels which is helpful if you go it alone. Light pressure at first. Precut to fit window is easiest for me.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
no need to wet apply. tape down the middle then apply left to right
attachment.php

Attachments

• applyperf.jpg
    applyperf.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 803

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Window perc can turn out to be a nightmare sometimes. i had to install some window perf that was froggy juiced. The vinyl was soft as hell and the florida sun was hitting us throughout the whole install. I never had such pain installing perf never ever. I really thought im just going to trash the piece... anyway. I do the same backing paper cut with the bodyguard knife. only difference is that I do not tape up the vinyl.i cut the backing paper twice 5 inches below the top of the vinyl. Cut the paper 1 or 2 inch apart then remove the 1 or 2 inch backing paper strip. As I said do this like 5 inch away from the top so you will have a lot of liner on the bottom,your exposed strip and 5 inch liner on top. now you can position the vinyl without sticking everywhere. Once you have a good position just tack the exposed part down. then fold down the top part. remove the paper. install that piece then do the bottom.

|
|
------- cut here 5 inch below the top
------- cut here 1-2 inch below the other cut then remove the strip
|
|
|
|
|
|
-------bottom of the vinyl

If its a pain or the sun hitting the vinyl then maybe try to put transfer tape on it? maybe?

T_K

Window perc can turn out to be a nightmare sometimes. i had to install some window perf that was froggy juiced. The vinyl was soft as hell and the florida sun was hitting us throughout the whole install. I never had such pain installing perf never ever. I really thought im just going to trash the piece... anyway. I do the same backing paper cut with the bodyguard knife. only difference is that I do not tape up the vinyl.i cut the backing paper twice 5 inches below the top of the vinyl. Cut the paper 1 or 2 inch apart then remove the 1 or 2 inch backing paper strip. As I said do this like 5 inch away from the top so you will have a lot of liner on the bottom,your exposed strip and 5 inch liner on top. now you can position the vinyl without sticking everywhere. Once you have a good position just tack the exposed part down. then fold down the top part. remove the paper. install that piece then do the bottom.

|
|
------- cut here 5 inch below the top
------- cut here 1-2 inch below the other cut then remove the strip
|
|
|
|
|
|
-------bottom of the vinyl

If its a pain or the sun hitting the vinyl then maybe try to put transfer tape on it? maybe?

That's a nice way to do a quick diagram. I'll have to keep this in mind for my next install. We've pretty much always done the butterfly method. Tape top & bottom in the middle, lay down one side, lay down 2nd side. But never anything that large.

SeanMcM

no need to wet apply. tape down the middle then apply left to right
attachment.php
Just be careful pulling that tape off as a non laminated perf vinyl can get ripped easily if you just quickly take off the tape..... speaking from experience.

DavidT

Perf film can be installed wet or dry if unlaminated, I find wet apply is faster for larger application, especially large prints with one person vertical drops, which most windows are.

David

visual800

we have installed alot of perf...BIG PERF. If everything in this world installed as easy as this stuff it would be awesome.

when I hear someone laminate perf it makes me sick to my stomach, why would you laminate perf? Its stupid, stop doing it!

For our perf installations we made a 24" long squeegee out of 3/4" pvc, rounded the edge and stapled a strip of towel to it. it glides right over the perf and lays down perfect. we try and work from top to bottom, a lot easier that way

WrapGuy10

Line it up at the top, peel back about 2 inches or so. Cut the backing paper off clean against the window and hinge the top on dry. Roll it all the way up and peel back the paper. If someone is with you have them light up the window with soap and water and then squeegee it down with the biggest squeegee you have. I use a 20 inch off brand from eBay. Move on to the next window while it dries (weather obviously a factor on how much soap and water to use). I do perf weekly like this. I love perf! Did this install in less than 30 minutes with one other person.

15179140_10104242857102221_1792963962278266428_n.jpg

jman

I just did a storefront like this for Oakley. I peel a few inches back and line it up and stick. You want to roll it up first and unroll as you go down. Perf goes on dry.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

Thanks

Based on your first 3 questions, I would only charge $10 for installation if I were you.

too mean?

wraprat

1. To protect the print from UV light.
2. So you can see out the window in the rain if we are talking about a vehicle.

Its stupid to say its stupid!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...when I hear someone laminate perf it makes me sick to my stomach, why would you laminate perf? Its stupid, stop doing it!.../QUOTE]

Water gets trapped in the holes of Non-laminated perf on vehicles with sloped windows making it harder to see out. For storefront windows it's best without laminate.

Vinyldog

Before I leave the shop I have the piece cut to size, then cut off a two inch wide strip of the backing paper at the top of the piece with my straight edge and then put it back on. Like a kiss-cut. Stick the top and work down with a rubber squeegee. I can't imagine anything easier to install when not laminated.
Naturally the lifespan is not going to be as good without lam, but it's so much easier to install I've just never used it. And the durability hasn't been an issue so far. Maybe someone else could comment on the life expectancy with laminate.