• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How black is your black?

Steve C.

thanks for the Black info.. But since were talkin colors how about a red that doesn't look orange? something like a real red? thanks again

A lot may depend on your setting in the Rip and Print window. I get a real
nice red that nearly matches Oracal Red with 12,100,96,0.

jwright350

Depends on the color profile you are using. You can type in random combinations of CMYK all day long and when you switch between profiles you'll get something different. When using vector artwork I always try to spot color map to pure black. Rich black is a waste of ink.

eye4clr

Depends on the color profile you are using. You can type in random combinations of CMYK all day long and when you switch between profiles you'll get something different. When using vector artwork I always try to spot color map to pure black. Rich black is a waste of ink.

Dead on jwright. The profile choice is going to have a greater impact on the black once you throw big enough numbers at it.

If you are applying and output profile, your literal CMYK numbers are going to get converted. So anything more than 60/50/50/100 will be the same as 100/100/100/100 or RGB 0/0/0.

The only way you're going to directly affect the CMYK values that actually print is to not apply the output profile or do a color substitution in your RIP specifically for the black you choose.

Oddly, there comes a point where putting down more ink actually makes the black weaker. Strive for a happy medium to get the darkest black.

gabagoo

As far as colours go and trying to find brighter reds and greens that dont appear on any of my charts, I just wait........ Sooner or later I will get files from customers that print great colours and then i record the values. Slowly you can build a decent set of colours to match pantone colours by fluke!!!!