• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I get this 3m diamond grade vinyl to stay down?!!

LMSigns24

Hi Everyone,
I have posted on this topic before and I am having the same issue again. I striped the back of a chevy tailgate with 3m diamond grade reflective. Those of you that have worked with it, know that it does not give at all. Customer wanted me to stripe over a body line that was not flat. Just the slightest bit of a hump, and the vinyl doesn't want to stay down. Looks great for the first week but then it pops back up in the same spot on both sides. This is the 3rd time I will be fixing it. Is there any type of glue to hold this down without destroying the paint?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bly

That stuff isn't designed to go on anything curved.

"Diamond Grade DG3
sheeting is designed primarily for applications to flat substrates.
Any use that requires a radius of curvature of less than five
inches should also be supported by rivets or bolts.
Plastic substrates are not recommended where
cold shock performance is required.
Sign failures caused by the substrate or improper surface
preparation are not the responsibility of 3M. "

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...tGPx_ZevUqevTSevTSevTSeSSSSSS--&fn=PB4000.pdf

letterman7

Yep, been wrestling with the same thing on some fire support vehicles. Finally convinced them that it isn't going to work - period. DG3 is meant for flat surfaces only. Slight curves, ok, but only in one direction. Body lines and wrapping a tailgate, never. Either figure out a simpler install section or they will have to deal with "regular" engineer grade.

LMSigns24

Thank you so much for responding. I actually was waiting for the answer of, "its not going to work". I have replaced 3 times and am using a 3m adhesive spray that isn't working either. I will talk with them about other options.

highwaypeter

3M produces a sheeting designed for reboundable plastic traffic control devices which is much more flexible than the DG3, and while not as bright as the type XI, it is a type III/IV which will outperform the Type I Engineer Grade sheeting. It is their 3300 series, available in white yellow and orange

TrafficGuy

3M produces a sheeting designed for reboundable plastic traffic control devices which is much more flexible than the DG3, and while not as bright as the type XI, it is a type III/IV which will outperform the Type I Engineer Grade sheeting. It is their 3300 series, available in white yellow and orange

this is spot on, we use the 3" DG tape on delineators and other items. It is the same stuff that you see on traffic cones.

with that being said, i still dont know if it would work well for you use. maybe alter the design

striper14

Dont try to glue it down, you'll just ruin the paint. I do a few cop cars over here, after they are damaged & repaired, and they have normal reflective with a 1" DG outline and even that size wont stay down over any sort of ridge. The original installers use pre cut sections for corners & bends but the repair stuff is just one long roll so it goes down in lots of straight lines, with lots of small joins on the corners... its lucky its easy to cut with scissors ...i think you'll have to cut out the section where the bump is...that stuffs too expensive to mess around with...:beer good luck