• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I make it stick???

klemgraphics

Ahh, could be a nice tool for cusom body fabrication, normally I just go by eye but I guess that comes with experience. Did this sort of thing on a daily basis since I was about 13 so I'd be glad to give you any advice that I can. Is the surface shiny or matte? Probably needs to be shiny for the best adhesion. If it's not you could use a fast cut rubbing compound on a buffer to shine up the gel coat. That would save you some money over painting it. Might need to wet sand then buff. Then again wet sanding may be sufficent.

GypsyGraphics

Okay so here's the plan, I'll start with the wet sand and if it's not smooth enough, buff with fast cut rubbing compound. I'm guessing after that the degreaser wouldn't be necessary (but couldn't hurt) and finish with a alcohol rub down. Then do another test to see how the well the vinyl sticks.

Sooo appreciate the help! Hope you'll check back.... I'm certain to need more advice as I get to the fitting stage.

klemgraphics

I would recommend starting with a 600 grit, then going to a 1200. Especially if you buff, use a degreaser to remove all of the residue from the compound. A wool pad with 3M Extra cut comound will make quick work of it since your not needing a mirror finish.

auto accents sc

If the panels have a relatively smooth finish, I would degrease them, hit them with a scotch brite pad, and clean with alcohol. I'm not sure compounding them would be necessary. You might also want an aerosol can of flat black paint to trim out the wheel openings and deep recesses such as fog light openings . We found a flat file to be handy with fitting the panels.