• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can we get started with making channel signs?

WhatsYourSign?

We've had to turn down a lot of opportunities to produce channel signs and we'd like to be able to pursue those opportunities in the future.

How would we get started with this? Are there trade companies who can produce the signs and ship to us for installation? What all is involved with the install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
We use World Wide Signs for making our channel letters.

I know their approximate cost for this so I can give the client an approximation on cost based on initial consult.

We do the following:
Get a deposit
Do the design/proof/approval
Finalize cost
Secure sign permit (as needed)
Have them produced
Have them installed
Collect final payment upon install

WhatsYourSign?

We use World Wide Signs for making our channel letters.

I know their approximate cost for this so I can give the client an approximation on cost based on initial consult.

We do the following:
Get a deposit
Do the design/proof/approval
Finalize cost
Secure sign permit (as needed)
Have them produced
Have them installed
Collect final payment upon install

World Wide Signs is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

We still need to teach ourselves how to do the install but that's doable having a source for creating the channel signs.

Appreciate the pointer!

ams

It costs between $300,000 to $1,000,000 to make your own to get all of the equipment. It depends on what you have and what you need. Also getting UL Listed is expensive and time consuming. Sub it out.

WhatsYourSign?

It costs between $300,000 to $1,000,000 to make your own to get all of the equipment. It depends on what you have and what you need. Also getting UL Listed is expensive and time consuming. Sub it out.

There's only one place in town that does channel signs and they're our biggest competitor (and they have a monopoly on the market for channel signs).

We live in an area with a little over 100,000 people so fairly rural and I know they didn't drop $300k+ on the machines to do it...they must be using a wholesale company to make the signs for them which is what we'd like to do as well.

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Check local and state laws. You probably need an electrical sign contractors license. Installation of the actual letters is pretty straight forward. Screws/washers/anchors. Wiring is a different animal, if done wrong the place burns down. Best to hire an experienced installer to do that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatsYourSign?

Check local and state laws. You probably need an electrical sign contractors license. Installation of the actual letters is pretty straight forward. Screws/washers/anchors. Wiring is a different animal, if done wrong the place burns down. Best to hire an experienced installer to do that part.

Thanks - we'll definitely either get one of our installers licensed for electrical work or sub that piece out as you suggested.

Good advice about the license, I'll definitely look into that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
In Texas, one can not advertise, sell or install ANY electrical sign unless they are a licensed electrical sign contractor. (And to obtain that license, you have to have a full-time sign electrician dedicated to your company and your company alone) You can't even "sub" out the install to another company. Now I know your in Virgina, but you need to look up the laws in VA because some states it's illegal to even advertise selling those signs w/o license.

WhatsYourSign?

In Texas, one can not advertise, sell or install ANY electrical sign unless they are a licensed electrical sign contractor. (And to obtain that license, you have to have a full-time sign electrician dedicated to your company and your company alone) You can't even "sub" out the install to another company. Now I know your in Virgina, but you need to look up the laws in VA because some states it's illegal to even advertise selling those signs w/o license.

Thanks, I'll definitely look that up!

I'm fortunate to have some very smart people on the team so if I need to pay to get one of them licensed, that'd be doable depending on the cost.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I looked at the VA laws, and the person you would want to train would have to go work for an electrical outfit for at least 4 years... they need that training in addition to vocational school hours to obtain a license... Becoming an electrician is like sending a kid off to college for 4+ years... it's not an overnight thing.... Your better to hire an electrician full-time, and I'm sure they start out at 6 figures.

WhatsYourSign?

I looked at the VA laws, and the person you would want to train would have to go work for an electrical outfit for at least 4 years... they need that training in addition to vocational school hours to obtain a license... Becoming an electrician is like sending a kid off to college for 4+ years... it's not an overnight thing.... Your better to hire an electrician full-time, and I'm sure they start out at 6 figures.
I'll have to see if I can figure out how our competition handles that... I'm sure they don't have one on staff if that's what they cost.

I'm guessing they sub that part of things out, the same that we would.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

dale911

President
In Indiana the state does not do any electrical licensing. They leave it up to each municipality to regulate electrical contractors. Generally you don’t have to have any type of electrical license to install them as long as the power to the sign is within 6’ of your sign connection. Since it’s low voltage, it’s just considered “safe” as long as it’s installed according to NEC codes. Va may be similar. Texas has crazy difficult laws to deal with. If your laws are similar to Indiana, make sure you have someone do the electrical portion up to code. You will also need a bucket truck for most jobs to make it profitable. The first job I ever did was in brick and I did it from scaffolding with a regular hammer drill. Took 2 days and about 30 drill bits. Now I have an sds drill among all the other needed tools and do a channel letter install the other day in a little under 2 hours by myself. If I had a helper, I would have saved a half hour in bucket up/down stuff.

The electrical work on an led install is as easy as it gets for electrical. If it’s neon, you better know your stuff because it’s high voltage and will kill you if you aren’t careful.

Last edited:

equippaint

Im pretty sure you need an electrical license in va. Its not usually something that you can just go and take a test for. You have to have the experience behind you which would take years. Only work around like tx said is to hire the experience that could qualify you to get your license too.

ams

There's only one place in town that does channel signs and they're our biggest competitor (and they have a monopoly on the market for channel signs).

We live in an area with a little over 100,000 people so fairly rural and I know they didn't drop $300k+ on the machines to do it...they must be using a wholesale company to make the signs for them which is what we'd like to do as well.

They probably are subbing it out. I do alot of LED signs and sub them out. A shop an hour and a hour from us makes their own in house, and for the price we pay buying from a wholesaler, we still beat him by 20%

dale911

President
There may be a cost saving sub out for you as well if you hang the letters and just bring in an electrician to do the electrical connections. That part only takes about 15-20 minutes so it shouldn’t cost much. (Assuming power is at the sign location which it usually is in strip malls and commercial buildings where signs are commonly placed)

visual800

Making channel letters in house is simply not as sensible as buying them thru a wholesaler. If making these is something that you have to do prove to yourself that you can do, just dont do it, its a waste of time.

Find a wholesaler, skip the headache and enjoy the profits

Billct2

First find out the local/state regulations for installing electric signs and with that knowledge you can then make an informed decision.