• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how cold is to cold

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Not the best conditions but the short answer is yes.

Cast vinyl, heat around the rivets...

CentralSigns

We have applied vinyl at -20 real tricky. But possible. Need to heat the premask and vinyl to get it to separate. then go over the whole works afterwards to get the vinyl to hold on.

I did one last winter outside and it was about 20 degrees out. Like SignManiac said, get a propane heater and put it inside the truck and you will be amazed at how fast you can actually feel the metal on the outside warming up.
I used Rapid Tack II when I did it also. It helped the mask to separate from the vinyl. After that I went over it all with a heat gun.
Only had one mishap with that install and that was the vinyl cracking on one letter on the cab door of the truck from the cold. Easy fix.
Have fun!

Mosh

Back before I had our big shop we would use heat guns to no end! 40 degrees is nothing, we did them in 20 in Feburary. If you are concerned rent a shop or find a place that will let you pull it in after hours. BTW Rapid Tac is for beginners IMO!

Mosh

Dry in cold is the best, and fluid is going to be a mess! Dry is best ANY TIME, well except....!

Mosh

Do want you want, but in my 22 years of letting stuff I find it SUCKS and can do way better without it!

JR's

((SM.) Get a torpedo heater and run it inside to melt the ice.
YES.
(MOSH.) Dry in cold is the best, and fluid is going to be a mess!
YES
install dry spray with what ever ( so the blowtorch wont burn the transfer tape ) then heat with blow torch squeegee then remove transfer paper. Heat and resqueegee, good to go.
good luck it wont be fun but you will remember it.

JR

Last edited:

CentralSigns

Dry in cold is the best, and fluid is going to be a mess! Dry is best ANY TIME, well except....!

Mosh is right the colder it is the less rapidtac is desirable to use. make sure you heat up the decal and premask to install and get it to release. Below 32 deg don't use Raptac, it doesn't evaporate at this temp.

petrosgraphics

can you not find someone who has a bay large enough for this truck......

a customer, make some inquiries pay them a small fee for the use of the space,

supply your own heat source if you wish.. just add the cost onto the job...

you will sometimes be surprised how much space is out there.... you will also

have a resource for the next time you need the space.....