Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Cold is Too Cold?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by grafixemporium, Jan 6, 2010.

1. grafixemporium

grafixemporium Very Active Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I don't like leaving the heater running in the shop over night. We're getting an "artic blast" in Houston this week and it's been getting down into the low 60s in the shop. It's supposed to get even colder and I'm afraid it'll get down into the 50s in here over night. How cold is too cold for the Roland VP540?

Tags:
  2. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

lol....

i leave my heat at 50 when i leave the shop.....

it'll get down to about 13 tonite .......and about every night for the next 6 weeks....

3. Pacific Coast Sign

Pacific Coast Sign Active Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    If it's too cold the printer won't turn on.

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We have our temperature at 67 day and 50 at night. It drops back around 8pm and comes back on at 6:30am...... on a timer. Just let the printer warm up real good before you start trying to print things.

5. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    we drop the thermostat to about 15 celcius but I keep one of those oil filled heaters close to the machine just to keep her warm.

6. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    It's negative temps outside around here. Has been for the last couple of weeks. Overnight, I keep it in the mid 50's. I haven't had any problems.

7. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I have had my heater go into defrost mode and shutdown in the cold temps over night getting down as low as 14 degrees,

and never turn back on until the next day . . . Printer (VP-540) was fine !

8. I have been putting mine down to 40 overnight for the last 3 years with no problems. I do an environmental match every morning after the heat comes up to temp. We are here in Michigan and we know cold!

9. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    How cold is too cold? Texas boy currently in Cleveland until I get a plane outa here in the morning, It's way to cold here!!!

10. threads1

threads1 Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Ocean City, Maryland
    It's so cold here, I've seen some Democrats walking around with their hands in their own pockets.

Sorry...I couldn't help myself.

11. JESSE WALKER

JESSE WALKER Member

Dec 17, 2009
    :notworthy: that was too funny!

12. Tharnpheffa

Tharnpheffa Member

May 22, 2008
    No lower than mid 50s.

13. Vital Designs

Vital Designs Vital Designs

May 29, 2005
    Dalls, Texas
    No need to hurry... it is 18 degrees here in Dallas...

14. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Although printers have an ideal operating range, the printer itself should be fine in very cold weather.

The real concern would be the ink and media. The most important part of any printing is
    consistency. If you're down to the 40's or 50's at night and expect to print the next morning at 70º, there's a chance you may have issues.

Media can expand and contract with significant temperature changes. While the built-in heaters should minimize this, there also may be concern that the ink may flow differently at different temperatures. So, the print that comes off the printer when you first get in may look a lot different than the same print at the end of the day.

Although the ink, media and printers are significantly different, this was a real issue when I was printing with aqueous inks. Heck, if it started raining during a shift, there would be significant color shifts between the start and end of the finished product.

Checkers

15. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I leave my temperature in the shop set to 74 when I leave at night but that's just to keep my snakes warm....The printer is fine.

16. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I think I saw that movie . . . " Snakes on a Printer "