• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How come trademark and copyright protection for artwork doesn't apply to music?

phototec

How come something like the trademark and copyright protection for artwork doesn't apply to music?

Here are two different copies of the song "Counting Stars" by One Direction:

[video=youtube;cSLAO7zxS2M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSLAO7zxS2M[/video]

[video=youtube;MXgrRRvOZjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXgrRRvOZjs[/video]

Here is the original:

[video=youtube;hT_nvWreIhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_nvWreIhg&feature=kp[/video]

PRS Bryan

There is, but it mostly protects against straight reproduction. The fact that other musicians are singing/playing qualifies it as different.

Regardless the "cover song" has been a well established practice of musicians. It seems that most musicians are honored to have their song covered, even if the cover is more successful than the original. Case in point "Wagon Wheel" written and performed by Old Crow Medicine show, but popularized by Darius Rucker.

The ability to exactly reproduce a graphic work is why people get so strung out about print copyrights. Imagine in only one printer in the world was able to produce a specific tint or hue. Then their work could not be exactly reproduced and the original would be easily distinguished form the imitators. I doubt copyright we be as big of an issue.

I am sure Dylan is loaded, but imagine how many people he could sue if covering a song was illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs

phototec

one republic most likely didnt write the song - that happens alot with major artists

Well according to Wikipedia, the song was written by lead singer Ryan Tedder (shown in the video).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_Stars

I just find it strange how many people can make a video of their own version the same popular hit song as the original artist and post on YouTube. And it appears to be legal?

Anyway, I actually like and prefer the two different versions (covers) I posted over the original.:smile:

royster13

The rights to a lot of song lyrics end up in the hands of the licensing agencies...And so long as royalties are paid, the original artists may have little or no recourse to stop alternate versions....

phototec

G O O G L E

ask it a question.

learn stuff.

Hey, I thought Fred put you on a short string because of you attitude on here?

Do you know what happens to smart A$$'s?

Google that....

I was asking my fellow 101'ers, if they had any info, obviously you are of no HELP, just a smart A$$, I wish Fred would go to the next step, and push the BAN button.

:clapping:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It's possible they asked permission or paid a royalty.

I used to be a nightclub DJ, every venue I played at paid yearly royalties to
ASCAP, BMI and some other one that escapes me.

phototec

G O O G L E

ask it a question.

learn stuff.

Sorry.

I don't mean any harm.

You know, you are right about asking Google a question to learn stuff, so I Googled Precision Digital Graphics in Imperial Beach, CA (YOU), and guess what I found?

NOTHING, ZERRO, Goose egg, zilch.......

Maybe you should think about having a REAL sign business before coming on here and acting like a smart A$$ all the time.......

Oh, Sorry no harm intended, just facts.....

DravidDavid

You know, you are right about asking Google a question to learn stuff, so I Googled Precision Digital Graphics in Imperial Beach, CA (YOU), and guess what I found?

NOTHING, ZERRO, Goose egg, zilch.......

Maybe you should think about having a REAL sign business before coming on here and acting like a smart A$$ all the time.......

Oh, Sorry no harm intended, just facts.....

A little bit uncalled for and a lot off topic, don't you think? This is a forum for grown-ups to discuss graphics, signage and other subjects such as the one you posted initially.

A lot of the time, big name artists also get cut in to whatever proceeds become of various covers. Unless of course another agreement was made or the song was made by a third party. There is a company based out of Australia I believe dedicated to writing songs and have made quite a few hit pop songs...

Cheers

CES020

I don't understand music on YouTube at all. If I use a song for the audio in a video I do for fun, YouTube strips the music out and gives me a "strike". 3 strikes and your account is terminated. However, I see people's videos all the time that use music for the audio. How they get it pass the automatic checker thing, and it stays up and gets 1000's and 1000's of hits is something I can't figure out.

I filmed some stuff for fun and put some music to it and uploaded it. It was analyzed during the upload and it was removed, automatically. I wasn't selling anything, it was a kid skiing filmed with a GoPro.

So how are people using real songs in their YouTube videos?