• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How did you learn to troubleshoot?

Dukenukem117

Curious, but for those who have learned to service HP printers pretty well, how did you go about it? I've read through the troubleshooting manual and watched all the videos HP uploaded, but since we bought the printer used, I never had any formal training. Did anyone here go through something like that?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We had formal training on other models and manufacturers. As for the issues with HP printers, taking what you know from past experience and troubleshooting in the same thought process is a start. Eliminating A, B & C...proceeding thru the list. HP in particular, you can find out a lot on their website. There is another website that had ALL of the troubleshooting for older latex printers on it...but cannot find the link.
partsurfer below is one resource.
http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx
Google fixing latex 850 capping station or bleeding ink lines or something to that effect....you'll run into a site with a bevy of info for free.

rjssigns

Never worked on an HP but what helped my "training" along was faced with a huge repair bill. 400 bucks just for the tech to leave the garage. Surprising how smart you get.

My attitude is it's already a brick I can't make it not work any worse. Printers, cars, lawnmowers, appliances the list is nearly endless.

Dan360

My attitude is it's already a brick I can't make it not work any worse. Printers, cars, lawnmowers, appliances the list is nearly endless.

That's how I've gotten a handful of things I would never spend the money on. One man's trash is dot dot dot.

Billct2

I used to service my HP5000/5500s. I used the manual and just made sure to document all mt steps as I took it apart. Nothing worse than getting it almost back together and discovering that you left something out. But now I just pay up for the service contract on my current machine. Being a service tech doesn't interest me and I found my time was better spent making signs than fixing machines. Different story is you have the talent and patience for it.