• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how digital can bite you in the a$$

gabagoo

Did a 4 x 8 pvc sign for a large customer of mine that we recreated from 3 pdf files they supplied, which were no good and had to be re typset. This is where digital hurts. The sign had nothing special that required digital printing other than it would save us time and we could make it a little fancier than if it were cut in vinyl. Seems the graphic designer that I gave it to mis spelled one word and we are missing a letter. It is just black on white but if I patch it, it will be obvious. I did send the customer out a proof and he OK'd it. The problem is that I dont deal with this particular person to much and as I said they are a good client so seeing that the mistake was made at this end I suppose I will eat it. Now the sign is about 25 miles from here and I dont mind driving up to patch it but I am not sure it wont be scrutinized and be obvious. What to do?
a) redo the sign and eat it - this is what is going to be done.
b) re print then go up and re apply - not liking that scenario
c) patch - ugg will look like chit
d) hang myself - might be the best way out lol jokin.

rfulford

I would reprint and eat the cost. This looks like the quickest reaction time to me. I am wondering though if the client knew you re typeset their PDF files. Perhaps they thought they had already spell checked their files.

You can follow up later with a meeting on how to set up files properly. Then they can be embarrassed and weigh the options for fixing the job.

gnemmas

I am with you. Used to feel bad for printers have to eat the cost with typos while we can just remove and replace the vinyl letters.

Was you print laminated? If not, and background is white, we use solvent to remove the print and apply vinyl letters on it.

If it is obvious spelling error, I would take blame and go patch it. Otherwise, send out patch for client to apply.

luggnut

i would try to patch... from a few feet it would be hard to tell. but if it is gonna be viewed up close, total redo. either way i would try to explain to the customer what i was doing and why. if it is a really good customer he might understand and offer some cash. and i would replace if the customer won't be happy with a patch.

if it is like most signs and viewed from many feet away i think a patch wouldn't be obvious.

Checkers

Heck, if I'm "paying" for the clients error or "oversight", it will be completed in the most cost effective way possible - patch the bugger.

Before I work for free, I would, at least, offer to split the difference on the re-do.

Checkers

gabagoo

I am with you. Used to feel bad for printers have to eat the cost with typos while we can just remove and replace the vinyl letters.

Was you print laminated? If not, and background is white, we use solvent to remove the print and apply vinyl letters on it.

If it is obvious spelling error, I would take blame and go patch it. Otherwise, send out patch for client to apply.

this is an option I did not think about. Yes it is in a section of black and white but I would have to tighten the kerning on the word "JOIN" to "JOINT" hmmmmm I like this possible action. good idea. Now what will remove the ink and not technically damage the vinyl?

gabagoo

The patch will be obvious I feel. Originally he called and told me he had a write on erseable board in the lunch room and they wanted me to strip it and put on all new graphics for the Presidents Message...so you see the big kahoona is going to be looking. I told them it would be far cheaper for me to just make a new sign as to have me drive up there and do all my work on site (vinyl lettering ) . I would probably guess the old sign looked like a dogs breakfast and I ended up giving them something they were not expecting for less. As I have said they are a good client and send me quite a bit of work. I think it is best to swallow my pride (do I have any left?) and eat it although I like the idea of possibly removing the ink carefully and apply vinyl in its place. will see if it can work.
Thanks

gabagoo

its a dry erase board but you didn't laminate?

No...originally they had a dry erase board that they wanted me to take all the old graphics off and replace with this message and chart. They do not plan on writing on any part of it. The only thing they have to do is change 3 messages at the bottom which I set up in 3 boxes at the bottom with a black key line around each. Next year I just need to reprint the new info for the boxes on a blockout material and install them which will be a breeze. Good thing I didn't laminate as I have fixed the word and kerned it slightly and it will work, so now all I have to really do is cut the lettering in black gloss and go and wipe off the old ink. whew!!! I suppose I could use cleaning fluid to take off the old ink? any other suggestions

BobM

Good customer, partially your mistake, big shot paying attention to it, replace it with the perfect job you intended to deliver. Explain the problem to your good customer after you replace it. I have been surprised with loyality gained by admitting my portion of a "co-mistake" (if that is a word). How much would you spend to attract a replacement "good" customer?

tintguy31794

If you will make your money back off this customer plus some then redo the sign and point out that you sent a proof to them.

If this is not someone who you feel you can make money off of again then point out that you sent a proof before printing and if you fix it it will cost him at least half price.

I always hate when customers Proofread something and give me a go ahead only to say oops in 3 days after everything is done and installed.

threeputt

I think I would offer to patch it at no cost.

If they balk at that, you can say that it's your opinion that the patch will be non-noticeable and not a bad compromise.

When they say "what are you talking about?"

You can say, "look, we're in the reproduction business. Errors and ommisions can always creep into any job. That's why we like to send a proof before production, which we did."

Unless they're really thick, or just pig-headed that should give them some clarity.

threeputt

By the way, I don't think it was the sign-making method that "bit you in the ass."

It was your layout guy....and the in-attentive proof reader on their end. Double mistake.

The signmaking method had nothing to do with it.

If you were printing books for a living, and there was a error in spelling, or worse yet an ommision, would you conclude that the "printing method" of making books was defective?

ProWraps

this is the reason we type NOTHING!!! cut an paste from the client ONLY! with a signed off proof to boot.

we have seen many a spelling error so far. none of which were our fault, and none of which were expected to be our fault.

in a day and age where spelling is not what it used to be (all the bullsh*t txt msgs, and domainnames, and everything else), you never know what is right and what is wrong.

dayusmc

I am new here, but here is my 2cents. I would redo it completely. Even thought the customer proofed it, they are not the professional. "Do The Right Thing Because It Is The Right Thing To Do". How much money will it really cost you. Is "Patching It" worth your reputation. If other people see it and ask who made it, No matter what the details, I guarantee they will say "I will never use that guy" You will be surprised on what kind of loyalty and referrals you will get from people when they see that you will go out of your way to make it right. I would not tell them that they should have caught the mistake but you will fix it for them. Makes you look arrogant and belittles them. But if you say, it was a honest mistake and of course you are going to fix it the right way no matter what the cost to you. That word will spread, it might not spread as much as if you don't fix it right or if you tell them they should have caught it. Just my 2cents for what it is worth.

Replicator

By the way, I don't think it was the sign-making method that "bit you in the ass."

It was your layout guy....and the in-attentive proof reader on their end. Double mistake.

I agree with these statements.

You must always have someone else check your work and vice versa !

gabagoo

you all have valid points and I thank you all for your 2 cents. Seeing that the mistake is simply one word on a 4 x 8 sheet that takes up aprox .75" x 4" and that I have retyped the word and have kerned it into place with vitually no real noticeability by the layman (even I had trouble glancing at it to see if it looked to tight). I think the best thing to do first of all is to print a swatch of black and then after it is thoroughly dry die cut the word out and place it after cleaning off the old ink. I have in the past used the cleaning solvent to take ink off and it completely removes it. After applying the new word I will take a careful look and make sure it looks good enough that again outside of actually touching it that it is not noticeable. If that actually fails then I will reprint and reapply to a new sheet of pvc (6mm).