• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"HOW DO I ADJUST lm lc IN POSTERSHOP? HELP!!!"

Chase Willcoxson

ok so my mimaki jv5-160s is printing everything to dark and a very helpful user named artbot told me 2 come here and ask if anyone knew how to adjust the lm lc and make it just CMYK because he said that the printer was just laying down 2 much ink causing the color to change...im new to this site and not very experienced with the printer im using so if someone could help me out i would really appreciate it =)

J Hill Designs

ha ha ok sry

so do you want to lower lc and lm usage or only use cmyk? my rip is different, but in quality settings i can choose cmyklclm, cmyk, or greyscale...

MikePro

you can temporarily adjust the ink levels in your preflight before rip... otherwise if you're looking for a permanent fix, you're going to have to do some profiling via media manager.

artbot

first to diagnose the issue, ind in your rip where you can choose only CMYK without lm lc running. if your prints suddenly come out perfect, you know that is the problem to be fixed.

I don't believe you can have the printer ignore the lm and lc by just clicking a button in PreFlight. You would have to go into media manager and them out in the "Ink Restrictions" settings...

This all seems a little odd... your problem should be fixed through some other method than trying to remove lm and lc from the equation.

Something you could do easily in Preflight:

Go to the "Color Corrections" tab.
Click on "Tools"
Choose "Color/Gray Levels"

Use those settings to adjust you print... If you find something that works you can export the color filter and apply the same filter to similar prints that are having the same problem.

Rooster

Your Lc will be part of the cyan channel and the Lm will be part of the magenta channel in how the rip handles those inks. They are not typically broken out as a separate channel since they're just a lighter shade of the same ink. Both inks will be used to create the channel with the C being used typically for shades darker than 25-50% and the light cyan is used to fill in the highlight regions.

I have no recent experience with Postershop so I'm not sure if you can even get in and adjust the settings. If you can, you'll find a curve adjustment for both the cyan and light cyan (same for Magenta) that allows you to adjust when and where each of the inks are used in making up their particular channel.

artbot

the reason i brought up the lm lc in particular is that my jv3 160sp was doing the same thing. same color shifts... then i took it out of CMYLlmlc mode and into CMYK in the rip. and with that single click, the colors were perfect. i figured there was a possibility that the canned profile he was using might have been doing the same thing... i'm an ink and material guy... i know very little about custom profiles, etc. they just aren't necessary for my work... my lm lc channels are printing prop'gly' and uv clear... so if my channel is overcompensating with lm lc, and spot on without...???? i'm hardly the guy to fix the issue. my fix was just a personal observation that shouldn't be applied to the beast that is the jv5. which to me is not a printer anyone should be "learning" on.
i'm rambling... off to trim a boat load of veneer.

Bly

You can probably bash a nail in with a pair of pliers too, but messing with light ink restrictions because your prints are too dark is going about things arse about.
If you can't profile your own media it would be best to find a profile that is closer to optimum for the media you are using.

sjm

the reason i brought up the lm lc in particular is that my jv3 160sp was doing the same thing. same color shifts... then i took it out of CMYLlmlc mode and into CMYK in the rip. and with that single click, the colors were perfect. i figured there was a possibility that the canned profile he was using might have been doing the same thing... i'm an ink and material guy... i know very little about custom profiles, etc. they just aren't necessary for my work... my lm lc channels are printing prop'gly' and uv clear... so if my channel is overcompensating with lm lc, and spot on without...???? i'm hardly the guy to fix the issue. my fix was just a personal observation that shouldn't be applied to the beast that is the jv5. which to me is not a printer anyone should be "learning" on.
i'm rambling... off to trim a boat load of veneer.

A profile is either CMYK or CMYKlcLm and it's built that way in PosterShop.

seattlesignguy

OK, I know this printer VERY well, and ONYX I can fumble thru. I wouldn't worry about turning off your lc lm. Double check your inkset that you have in the printer. 98% of people run this printer CMYK and do not even have LC or LM loaded. If you are in the 2%that need earth and flesh tones I still would doubt that these colors would be what is causing your prints to get darker. What media are you printing onto? What profile do you have selected in ONYX? Is the ink still wet when it gets to the takeup? If so then you are oversaturating the media and need to try a different profile or you need to set some ink limitations at the minimum. Doing your own profile is always best, but I would start with IJ180 3m since 3m was very strict about setting ink limits when Mimaki came out with the HS ink since 3M was worried about it attacking the adhesive when oversaturated.