• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I apply adhesive to Lexedge?

_Neil

For stuff like 3M 467MP or similar dual-sided pressure-sensitive adhesives, I'd doubt that I'd need a laminator. But what tool/machine is used to get it on smooth w/o any bubbles?

Alternatively, are there any spray-type adhesives that can work? Or course then I'd need to know how to get a liner on it, so I'm thinking this would be more complicated.

Thanks.

CanuckSigns

For stuff like 3M 467MP or similar dual-sided pressure-sensitive adhesives, I'd doubt that I'd need a laminator. But what tool/machine is used to get it on smooth w/o any bubbles?

Alternatively, are there any spray-type adhesives that can work? Or course then I'd need to know how to get a liner on it, so I'm thinking this would be more complicated.

Thanks.

How big of a piece are we talking? We use tons of the 468mp on the backs of our engraved tags, it's awesome stuff, but because it doesn't have a carrier if it gets stuck somewhere you don't want it to, game over!

If the pieces are small enough, try a rolling pin for baking. It can be done with a squeegee, but it requires concentration.

Alternatively, try a different tape that has a carrier, TESA makes a few that are pretty good.

_Neil

I need to adhere 8.5" x 11" sheets (5-mil plastic) to lexedge, and optionally another layer of adhesive on the other side of the plastic. It's not exactly 467MP (because I'll use some optically-clear adhesive such as 3M 8211), but I expect the process will be mostly the same for any adhesive.

Given that the lexedge is ~13" wide, I'm thinking I can print to say 10" wide (as each individual piece is < 2" x 1.5"), apply 12" adhesive, then attach the 8.5" x 11" sheets (such that I have 0.5" tolerance on either side. If I add another layer of adhesive, that would be 12" wide again.

I thought about using a large aluminum tube I have laying around (2.5" dia, ~0.5" wall), but would like some way to hold the material as I roll. I saw a machine for this (at 1:07 in this video),

[video=youtube;z53RJss_Bls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUluTjMklixHGGgjf77c-oXg&amp;t=73&amp;v=z53RJss_Bls[/video]

but it's way overkill. Is there something like this that has a hand roller perhaps? Or even better, a dual-roll holder that would let me use my plotter as this machine does -- to pull the material in and merge/sandwich them while it's sucked in. Of course I'll have to do this in multiple passes for the first layer of adhesive, then the plastic sheets, then the last adhesive layer.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfiscus

Rap Master
We apply it with our laminator, just like any other laminate or when you have to laminate with a solid color vinyl.

_Neil

Interesting. I did come up with another idea to make my multi-layer sandwich (using small dual-sided adhesive tape dots and holes to align the layers), but I think I'll research laminators anyway as I'll probably need one sometime.

Thanks.