• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Do I Change Out My Encoder Strip On A VP540i?

player

I have the service manual but I am looking for some human help to change out the encoder strip.

Thanks

rjssigns

If it's anything like an SP540V it will take you longer to dig down to it then replace it. You will have to remove the dust shield and top cover. May also have to remove the left side end cap.
With the covers off its easy enough to replace. I recommend wearing gloves and having a helper.

If you have a lot of "miles" on the printer you may want to think about ribbon cables while you're in there. They are a consumable.

Axs

It's not that hard, I like to use gloves so that I don't get fingerprints on the encoder. You don't really need to remove much for covers, I don't when I service machines. It is easier to get at with the top cover off though.

It's simply a matter of removing the spring from the left hand side, unscrewing the "plate" holding the encoder on the right, then transfering the "plates" (sorry not sure what you'd call them) attached to both ends of the encoder. You will have to move the printhead out of the way to get at the right hand side. I like to attach the left hand plate to the new encoder at this point. The encoder with the black dot should be on the right hand side. Make note of the orientation. Before you attach the right hand plate to the new encoder, slide the right side end of the encoder into the trough and push the print carriage to the left past the end of the encoder so that you can pull it all the way to the right. Reattach the plate on the right and screw it in place. Then pull the encoder taut from the left, making sure it's in the trough, then attach the spring to the left plate.

Try not to move the print carriage too much before you verify that the encoder reader is in the correct position. This is the sensor located at the back of the print carriage that straddles the encoder. There's a small screw you you can loosen to make adjustments. Make sure that it is not rubbing on either side of the encoder. Then you will have to do a limit position.

Process is here:

I hope that somewhat makes sense..

EDIT: I really should have just linked this video... :

player

It's not that hard, I like to use gloves so that I don't get fingerprints on the encoder. You don't really need to remove much for covers, I don't when I service machines. It is easier to get at with the top cover off though.

It's simply a matter of removing the spring from the left hand side, unscrewing the "plate" holding the encoder on the right, then transfering the "plates" (sorry not sure what you'd call them) attached to both ends of the encoder. You will have to move the printhead out of the way to get at the right hand side. I like to attach the left hand plate to the new encoder at this point. The encoder with the black dot should be on the right hand side. Make note of the orientation. Before you attach the right hand plate to the new encoder, slide the right side end of the encoder into the trough and push the print carriage to the left past the end of the encoder so that you can pull it all the way to the right. Reattach the plate on the right and screw it in place. Then pull the encoder taut from the left, making sure it's in the trough, then attach the spring to the left plate.

Try not to move the print carriage too much before you verify that the encoder reader is in the correct position. This is the sensor located at the back of the print carriage that straddles the encoder. There's a small screw you you can loosen to make adjustments. Make sure that it is not rubbing on either side of the encoder. Then you will have to do a limit position.

Process is here:

I hope that somewhat makes sense..

EDIT: I really should have just linked this video... :
Wow thank you very much for this post. Very well explained. I will give it a try now.

Jim Hill

One very important step is to make sure the encoder strip does not touch either side of the sensor or it won't work.

Jim