Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Change Out My Encoder Strip On A VP540i?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by player, Feb 4, 2020.

1. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I have the service manual but I am looking for some human help to change out the encoder strip.

Thanks

Tags:
  2. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    Start with YouTube...100 videos on how to..make sure you recalibrate

3. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Where? I am not asking about CLEANING the encoder strip, but replacing it. I search and all I find is cleaning the encoder strip videos.

4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    If it's anything like an SP540V it will take you longer to dig down to it then replace it. You will have to remove the dust shield and top cover. May also have to remove the left side end cap.
    With the covers off its easy enough to replace. I recommend wearing gloves and having a helper.

If you have a lot of "miles" on the printer you may want to think about ribbon cables while you're in there. They are a consumable.

5. Axs

Axs New Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Saskatoon
    It's not that hard, I like to use gloves so that I don't get fingerprints on the encoder. You don't really need to remove much for covers, I don't when I service machines. It is easier to get at with the top cover off though.

It's simply a matter of removing the spring from the left hand side, unscrewing the "plate" holding the encoder on the right, then transfering the "plates" (sorry not sure what you'd call them) attached to both ends of the encoder. You will have to move the printhead out of the way to get at the right hand side. I like to attach the left hand plate to the new encoder at this point. The encoder with the black dot should be on the right hand side. Make note of the orientation. Before you attach the right hand plate to the new encoder, slide the right side end of the encoder into the trough and push the print carriage to the left past the end of the encoder so that you can pull it all the way to the right. Reattach the plate on the right and screw it in place. Then pull the encoder taut from the left, making sure it's in the trough, then attach the spring to the left plate.

Try not to move the print carriage too much before you verify that the encoder reader is in the correct position. This is the sensor located at the back of the print carriage that straddles the encoder. There's a small screw you you can loosen to make adjustments. Make sure that it is not rubbing on either side of the encoder. Then you will have to do a limit position.

Process is here:

I hope that somewhat makes sense..

EDIT: I really should have just linked this video... :

6. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Wow thank you very much for this post. Very well explained. I will give it a try now.

7. Biggermens

Biggermens Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Canada
    It explained very very well in the service manual
    RTFM

8. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I think you said page 128?

9. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    OK this time I found it. Page 120.

10. Jim Hill

Jim Hill Active Member

One very important step is to make sure the encoder strip does not touch either side of the sensor or it won't work.

Jim