• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I convert a pdf to an eps that i can cut?

fortin

I am very green at this and I'm trying to convert a pdf that I can cut...and I need to have this job done tonight!...can anyone help me?

TheSnowman

Depends what kind of pdf it is. If it is one that someone "printed" to a PDF, you may not be able to cut it. Just depends if it is really vector or not.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Cutting .pdf files

I've been down this road with a water jet cutting machine. Trying to cut a .pdf converted to an .eps is marginal at best, however sometimes you do get one that cooperates.

Depending on how the .pdf was assembed, you also may even have issues with layers, overlapping vectors and co-liner lines (one line atop another).

More times than not, you will end up with a grouping of line segments which may or may not be connected, and geometry such as circles will no longer be reperesented by a center and diameter or radius...just a bunch of small segments.

Sometimes it's possible to have missing segments which result in open paths.

Jim

CentralSigns

Trace it in Corel DrawX3 or SignLab 8. Sometimes you can import it and have usable data in either of these programs. Cross your fingers, hope you have a room full of furniture, and not a picture of the furniture. Cause you need a room of furniture to do anything with it.

Fitch

Depends on the size - import into Corel, Illy etc and perform a trace. Already a vector then.

If graphics are not to bad, fonts can be matched and dlete the original (pdf) then you have clean crisp text.