• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I cut Max Metal?

Andy D

We used Max Metal for years and never had issues.
We had a shear to cut our composite aluminum and other aluminum panels, and that worked great.
If I didn't have a shear or panel saw I would probably set up a straight edge system to use a hand
router.

equippaint

A shear is a rather cheap tool and a good investment.

As far as warranty goes it doesn't matter. There are so many hoops to jump through and so many outs the manufacturer has to get out of any claims that its basically just a marketing tool. Its the distributor that usually ends up coming out of their pocket just to keep the customer happy and that's only if you spend enough money with them to make it worth their while. With large durable good purchases it holds some water but this consumable stuff..... good luck.

S'N'S

Not trying to thread hijack, but curious about all these different composite aluminum suppliers. Some have a 10 year warranty others have a 5 year...Max Metal I have no idea but because it is cheap I have my suspicions. But more out of curiosity has anyone ever seen this stuff fail? What happens to it?

I have had 1 failure of de-lamination and the company new about the problem as it was tracked back to a factory fault during manufacture. They replaced the sheets without hesitation "BUT" would not come to the party for materials and labour.
The ACM brand that I buy over here has different grades .... short term right up to 10year (with guarantee).
My supplier has:
Digital - 0.3mm face, (10yr guarantee)
Eco - 0.21mm face (recycled plastic center & is short term),
Sign - 0.21mm face, (10yr guarantee)
Premium - 0.3mm face, (10yr guarantee)
FR's - 0.5mm face Building Grade (20yr guarantee)
So as you can see, there are many varieties of ACM even in one brand and there are many brands. Quite a few different name brands come out of the same chinese factory too.

Back to OP
As for cutting, Guillotine (either electric or stomp) is the best, next is Panel / track saw, then electric hand saw with either 80 or 100 tooth.
I have noticed with score and snap that it works really good on the thinner faces (0.21mm), but on the thicker faced sheets (0.3mm face) leaves a crap edge on the underside when bent under to snap, and you have to score it a lot more times and with harder pressure before snapping.
I only use this method on small stuff now as I have a Guillotine.

Signs 'n' Stuff

Hi Dr Decal
A treadle guillotine with backstops set up is perfect for small repetition pieces. just find one with a sharp blade and dont overload with heavy stuff.
No burr, no delam.
Brett

Snook

We use Max Metal a lot. Probably 60 sheets a month. We use it for Real Estate Signs and has been a good fit. For cutting, we use a shear and it works great. The shear makes a nice cleans edge. We apply the vinyl with a rollover table then shear the Max Metal after the vinyl is applied. Works great!

Rusty B

I cut this stuff quite often from Grimco. I cut square panels as someone mentioned already and that is with a table saw and an 80 tooth blade. You can also route this stuff into shapes fairly easy with a jigsaw and a fine tooth blade. If I have several to make or a design that may need to be repeated in the future I will take a piece of 1/2 plywood and cut my shape and do all the sanding I need to do to get the shape I want. Then I take a handheld trim router and a flush trim bit and route the panels out. I use a banner hem tape to keep the max metal attached to the wood while I route it so it doesn't move. I take a file and hit the edges on the panel also. Those aluminum splinters suck! Good Luck.

Marlene

Not trying to thread hijack, but curious about all these different composite aluminum suppliers. Some have a 10 year warranty others have a 5 year...Max Metal I have no idea but because it is cheap I have my suspicions. But more out of curiousity has anyone ever seen this stuff fail? What happens to it?

I use alumalite made by these guys www.laminatorsinc.com click on the sign panel brochure and it breaks down each type of panel that they make, what it is good for and what the warrenty covers.