Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Do this!? Complex Illustrator Layer Question.

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by cptcorn, Mar 4, 2010.

1. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    I have an illustrator file that is moderately complex. I need all paths, objects, etc in their own layer. They are currently all contained in the same layer. Is there a fast way of doing this without clicking and dragging each piece to its own layer?

Tags:
  2. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Select the objects, Go to your "layers" palette, go to your options menu on the upper right corner of the window, "RELEASE TO LAYERS" (SEQUENCE)

3. cptcorn

cptcorn adad

Jul 16, 2007
    Two Harbors
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! (in a little girl's voice)

You are my new Super Friend x 4,823 layers!

4. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

does release to layers do it? i'm just guessing as i have never done it but i think in the layers pallet there is a release to layers command that does?

ooops i see rick has already answered

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Nice, I like that one.

6. tanneji

tanneji Member

Dec 3, 2008
    that's flippin handy! Thanks!!

7. B-RAD Graphics

B-RAD Graphics Member

Nov 16, 2009
    :thumb:

8. visualeyez

visualeyez Member

Jan 23, 2007
    harbor
    On most files: Select all, then go to the Object drop down, and select Clipping mask, then release. You might have to do this multiple times. I also like to then create an object with no fill or stroke. Select this object and then go to the Select drop down, and select Same, Fill and Stroke. You can delete all this junk out of the file. Some files with clipped images and gradients require more work.