• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I duplicate text size & layout from a picture using Coreldraw x4

KarlO1973

Hello everyone, I will be restoring an 18 yr old redwood carved sign this spring. The sign is painted. Some of the text is vinyl applied over the paint. I am trying to figure out how to duplicate the existing layout so that I can cut the replacement vinyl. Isnt there a way to import a picture along with some measurements and CorelDraw x4 will scale the text and layout for me? Could someone give me directions on how to do this or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your help.

visual800

99.99% of the time this will never work ESPECIALLY on a dimensional sign. I would suggest to paint it

However you would have to:

1-handcut the vinyl on it
2-match the font if it is one as that is a chore on blasted redwood
3-measure each leter meticuously to replicate to cut on plotter
4-get ready for this to be a PITA

I would strip and repaint

J Hill Designs

import picture
'know' a particular dimension
draw a square to fit that dimension
doubleclick ruler, go to scaling
input size of drawn square into first scale box
input size of known dimension into the second box
will be close but never exact

Malkin

In order to be more accurate than a photo, I would make a pencil rubbing pattern of the letters/layout and scan it. However if you don't have a wide format scanner this wouldn't be an easy solution.

IF you do take a photo, take it as straight on as possible, and stand as far back as you can while maintaining enough image quality to get the job done. If you take the picture too close to the sign, it will be too distorted to be of any help.

Jillbeans

I agree, I would paint the sign. It's just so much simpler and faster, even if you're not good at hand lettering. All you need are 1" foam brushes to lightly tap the paint onto the raised lettering.

If you must try and duplicate using Corel, I'd tape a dollar bill onto the sign when I photographed it, then blow it up until the $ is the right size, then overlay the text onto the sign photo. You will still have to apply each letter individually, more than likely.
Love....Jill

KarlO1973

I appreciate the input from everyone. I may end up hand painting the text, but I am going to TRY to scale the vinyl properly first. The text on the sign has a painted background with smaller text made of vinyl applied to the painted background. Again, thanks for taking the time to help out us newbies

Attachments

• SCMSsign1.JPG
    SCMSsign1.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 82
  • SCMSsign2.JPG
    SCMSsign2.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 69