Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get this powerpoint file into Flexi

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by Drip Dry, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Drip Dry

Drip Dry Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Long island NY
    A couple of years ago, a customer sent me a powerpoint file. I remembered we struggled with it but managed to get it done. Now they call and ask... can I take a Powerpoint file. STUPID ME says sure.

Now I have it and I can't do anything with it. I can't call them now and say I can't use it.

I tried copy and paste.... no good
    I published it to a PDF. Now I can see it as a PDF but it looks like garbage when I import it to Flexi
    I even tried to copy and paste through Word.

If I absolutely have to, I can redraw it, but I'm trying real hard not to

Anyone have a solution

Thanks

Tags:
  2. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Call them back and tell them you were mistaken, you need a graphics file and not a video file.

3. Sign to Go

Sign to Go Member

Sep 13, 2004
    When you say it looks like garbage, is it the fonts / text that's messed up? If so Use the Vector Dr's. procedure to open the pdf in Illy to preserve the text first, then export as an .ai and then open in Flexi

4. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    For what reason are you wanting to open the PDF in Flexi? If it is to output the file, you don't need to open first in Flexi. You can load the file directly into the RIP (Production Manager) application and print from there.

If you are needing to edit the file, you will probably have better luck doing so in Illustrator, as it does a much better job of not changing fonts and colors.

5. oldgoatroper

oldgoatroper Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Jul 28, 2009
    Alberta
    as a last option.. you can always open the PDF in Photoshop.

Photoshop will ask you what size to render at and what resolution as well as whether you want it rendered as RGB or CMYK.

then, at least, you'll have something that is printable -- unless you really needed vector artwork for cutting letters.

6. Drip Dry

Drip Dry Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Long island NY
    I rebooted the computer and I'm able to copy and paste most of it. Didn't get one of the graphics, but I can work with it.
    Tomorrow I'll try Vector Dr's import and I'll also see what happens in Photoshop

Thanks everybody

7. visualeyez

visualeyez Member

Jan 23, 2007
    harbor
  8. Sometimes a good way to clean up a PDF files is:
    1. Open PDF in Acrobat. Do a save as and choose postscript
    2. Open up Acrobat Distiller and re-distill it.

Many times this will clean up a file. If there is transparency issues with drop shadow and such it will flatten the transparency. If there are fonts that aren't embedded in the PDF, if you have them loaded in your system they will embed... and all should be good.

9. houseofgrafix

houseofgrafix none

Dec 27, 2007
    cw

this!

10. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    i wonder if it would work like a .docx file, where you can simply change the extension to .zip and unzip the contents into a file like you would a regular .zip file.

apparently images pulled from word documents this way have nearly twice the resolution that trying to open the document in word.