Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I increase density (ink deposition)?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by threeputt, Sep 1, 2011.

1. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Printing some eight foot electrical sign faces onto 3850. Usually we set the machine to "return to point of origin after printing" then hit print again.

This allows an extra "coat" of ink to increase the density of color because they're back lit.

This method also allows the printed image to get off about 1/16" in the eight foot length.

Can I artificially somehow change things so that we lay down more ink with each head pass? Thus eliminating the second printing?

Rookie question probably but I'd appreciate any help possible.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    what printer/rip

3. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Somewhere in the RIP there will be a setting for multiple ink layers, it may be called something slightly different depending on the RIP, but it'll be there.

4. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state

Ooops, sorry. Guess that would be helpful.

Roland SP-540v with VersaWorks 4.0 RIP

5. threeputt

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Thank you Pat, I'll give this a try. Appreciate the quick response.

6. Hwy

Hwy Member

Jan 28, 2008
    By assigning spot colors to the design (vector only) through Roland's Color Swatch Library, you can change the color call out for that particular color within the rip.

7. Custom_Grafx

Custom_Grafx Very Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    +1

and don't forget to slow it right down. It can get pretty wet...

8. ezeloCreative

ezeloCreative New Member

Aug 17, 2012
    3850 Double Strike?

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have my first printing job coming up on ORACAL 3850. Do you need to double strike it (Over Print)? Or will the default profile I downloaded from ORACAL have this turned on in VersaWorks?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I don't want to waste a wack of material and ink when I can ask some folks with experience :thankyou:

-sheldon

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012