• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I print Red Sox red and blue

Signs4Realtors

Can someone please explain to me how to print Red Sox red and blue for a little league banner. I've looked up the CMYK values for this and the internet says different values on different sites. The one consistent thing I've found is Boston Red Sox: #0E2B55 (blue) | #BD3039 (red). What are these values...Pantones...and how do I select these exact values in Adobe Illustrator...the Pantone library has coated this and uncoated that...what do I need for 13 oz mat finish banner material. Thanks in advance for your input!

Attachments

• PantoneColorSelection.jpg
    PantoneColorSelection.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 60

Dark Fox

printing colors

In your color choosing window, where you would normally find the cmyk input numbers. Right under the RGB input, there is the hashtag input. Hashtag colors are web colors by the way.
90% of printers will choose coated over un-coated. Ink is shinny after all.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
WTF is hashtag colors????

I think you mean HEX colors.... I'd suggest searching online for terms like official Red Sox Pantone colors and maybe pdf or just Red Sox graphic standards pdf. Realistically though one of those documents might not be easy to get ahold of without contacting the Red Sox marketing department. Of course they will want to know why you want it as they own the rights to their marks and would also of course want to be sure that anyone making any sort of money off of their marks and brand is giving them their cut.

Brink

WTF is a HEX color

WTF is hashtag colors????

I think you mean HEX colors....

I think you mean Hexadecimal RGB (RedGreenBlue) values. :wink: I think Dark Fox was trying to explain where to input those values to a layperson. No need to bust his chops for trying to help.

Correct Color

Can someone please explain to me how to print Red Sox red and blue for a little league banner. I've looked up the CMYK values for this and the internet says different values on different sites.

That's because CMYK values are device dependent. So unless CMYK values also come with a specific CMYK color space as a reference, they're pretty much useless.

The one consistent thing I've found is Boston Red Sox: #0E2B55 (blue) | #BD3039 (red). What are these values...Pantones...and how do I select these exact values in Adobe Illustrator...the Pantone library has coated this and uncoated that...what do I need for 13 oz mat finish banner material. Thanks in advance for your input!

No, as others have pointed out, those are hexidecimal values. Basically they were created for the web in the days of limited color reproduction on most monitors.

The Red Sox Pantone colors are Pantone 186 Red, and Pantone 289 Blue.

In Illustrator, always select the Solid Coated (Pantone C) library. The reason to do this is that the C version is the truest representation of the actual original Pantone ink formula on coated stock. And by using it, you can then let your RIP make an appropriate conversion to the actual profile (media type) you're using.

This assumes of course that you're using a RIP with an included Pantone library. If you're not, then when your file is generated, there will be an alternate description in the file of any named colors, and that's the color description your printer will use. If that's all you've got to work with, it's still probably the best route.

And then, of course, how well your final output matches 186 and 289 will depend on how closely the profile you're using matches how your printer actually prints.

Good news is that these are pretty primary dense colors, so for what you're doing, you should get plenty close enough.

Signs4Realtors

That's because CMYK values are device dependent. So unless CMYK values also come with a specific CMYK color space as a reference, they're pretty much useless.

No, as others have pointed out, those are hexidecimal values. Basically they were created for the web in the days of limited color reproduction on most monitors.

The Red Sox Pantone colors are Pantone 186 Red, and Pantone 289 Blue.

In Illustrator, always select the Solid Coated (Pantone C) library. The reason to do this is that the C version is the truest representation of the actual original Pantone ink formula on coated stock. And by using it, you can then let your RIP make an appropriate conversion to the actual profile (media type) you're using.

This assumes of course that you're using a RIP with an included Pantone library. If you're not, then when your file is generated, there will be an alternate description in the file of any named colors, and that's the color description your printer will use. If that's all you've got to work with, it's still probably the best route.

And then, of course, how well your final output matches 186 and 289 will depend on how closely the profile you're using matches how your printer actually prints.

Good news is that these are pretty primary dense colors, so for what you're doing, you should get plenty close enough.

Thank you Mike! That was very helpful and my colors look much better.

Andy D

Can someone please explain to me how to print Red Sox red and blue for a little league banner. I've looked up the CMYK values for this and the internet says different values on different sites. The one consistent thing I've found is Boston Red Sox: #0E2B55 (blue) | #BD3039 (red). What are these values...Pantones...and how do I select these exact values in Adobe Illustrator...the Pantone library has coated this and uncoated that...what do I need for 13 oz mat finish banner material. Thanks in advance for your input!

There's nothing wrong with doing a little investigation to match what you think the color should be and to get it as close as you can, but if you're at
all worried that that the customer will reject the banner due to the wrong color, you should insist that the customer provides the PMS numbers to you and/or
sign off on a color test print.