Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions how do I remove old cracked vinyl wrap

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by dasigndr, Sep 2, 2020.

1. I have been asked to remove this old wrap from a van and it is all cracked and weathered to say the least!
    I would like to know if there are any tricks or chemical products that would make this vinyl removal easy?

I do have an MBX tool but am hoping there is an easier way!
    And I do not want to start pushing a razor blade scraper down that will most definitely scratch the surface, though I know it will need a new paint job anyway!!
    Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    You can search on here for this subject and you will see tons of different suggestions. We will only do removal on a time basis and decide the method once we start working on it. The method varies depending on how it comes off. But mostly I tell the client to get it done at a body or detail shop because we hate doing it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Think you are right about the paint being toast under that.
    Vinyl is too far gone to come off with a heat gun or torch.
    Might try a steamer if you have one or can get a rental.
    Second option would be chemical.
    Vinyl off will turn the material and adhesive into snot that can be scraped off with a plastic squeegee.
    If you can't get that go to Home Depot and get some citrus based wood stripper.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Citrist...rnish-Stripping-Gel-Non-NMP-HCSG803/307416113
    Trick with the Vinyl off and stripper is to leave it on the surface for just the right amount of time. It needs to stay long enough to soften up the vinyl but not so long that is starts to dry up and do nothing. Once you hit the sweet spot it will work pretty well.
    Good luck

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    OMG I would run for the hills. I agree with Billct2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Simple, a gallon of gas and a match, lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  6. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Body shop. Someone who leaves a wrap on that long isn't going to pay what it takes a sign shop to remove that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    Yes the removal will cost more than a new wrap, don't be kind if you do quote. That will be hell removing that, my fingers are hurting just thinking about it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Just found this option: Don't remove it - fix it!

• Like Like x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

paint stripper and then send it our to Maaco for a cheap repaint then re-wrap it. Faster and cheaper than trying to save the paint.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    That is absolutely fascinating! Very cool!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

No matter what you charge it won't be worth it and there is bound to be some damage to the paint. I would leave it to the competition. Let them get bogged with 40 to 60 hours of labor and potential liability while you do something fun and profitable. Those are lose-lose jobs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    Find a body shop that has a sandblaster, strip it clean and then re-paint.

we have rented an industrial high-pressure cleaner before, cranked it to the max temp and pressure.
    took HOURS and it cleaned the vinyl off, but it SHREDDED the vinyl and that was a total hassle to clean up the mess.

You can turn down jobs...... it saves your sanity

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bert Wondervan

Bert Wondervan Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Germany
    Easiest way to remove old cracked vinyl wrap.

14. Hero Signs

Hero Signs If they let me make it, they will come

Sep 19, 2011
    rosenberg,tx
    A sandblaster will run $500-700 in Houston area. I did one hone where we used vinyl off reflective (FYI vinyl off looses it's potency when exposed to air so you need in opened bottles) we laid newspaper to wick up the vinyl off and keep it on the van. Worked better than spraying it every 30 min.. so 30hrs into it. It was removed. Vinyl off all's destroys plastic light covers.

I opt for sandblasting your job

15. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

That is so ineffective compared to an MBX Electric Vinyl Zapper. I know an MBX isn't cheap but when you need one they are worth it, and on that hood alone you could save a couple of hours in labor compared to the drill attachments. Other factors; it's uncomfortable holding the drill for long periods of time, it gets really hot, you may burn up a battery or two from the constant high discharge...

Even with an MBX I wouldn't want this job. No matter how you do it, it will be a time-wasting mess and you will lose productivity for days after because your forearms and fingers will be shot.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Truer words have never be spoken!
    I would suggest a body shop, let the customer deal directly with them & then
    price the vinyl & application... Stick to what makes a profit & don't waste your time on the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SeeEmWhyKay

SeeEmWhyKay Print Plug & Pigment Procurer

Apr 22, 2020
    Fresno, Ca
    My wrap installers' hands are too precious to have them strip off old wraps. I don't even offer the service, I usually point them in the direction of the local "fleet clean" company who uses a high pressure acid solution wash to remove graphics from vehicles. For lets say, a sprinter van, it's going to cost them $200 bucks as opposed to 30 plus man hours at $70 an hour in shop. No brainer.

• Like Like x 2