• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how do I snap text box to text

tiredcreations

It's been awhile since I used illustrator (cs6) and I can't for the life of me remember (or find how) to do this.

I want the box to wrap around the text with no gaps. That way I can align & center it with other objects.
I don't want to convert it to outlines because I need to copy and change the text multiple times.

I swear I've done this before :banghead:

illy.jpg

Biker Scout

Can't do that in Illustrator. That's what you get. If you've ever worked in InDesign, you will notice that you can have a text box larger than the text, you'd double click the corner and/or bottom center nodes and it would snap to. If the text box you created was by starting with text tool, and drawing a rectangle then typing in subsequent box, then you can just manually move it to whatever size you wish. But your pic looks to be that you just clicked the "T" Tool and started typing. That's the way I do it, but then I convert to outlines so that it's an object I have more control over.

tiredcreations

Can't do that in Illustrator. That's what you get. If you've ever worked in InDesign, you will notice that you can have a text box larger than the text, you'd double click the corner and/or bottom center nodes and it would snap to. If the text box you created was by starting with text tool, and drawing a rectangle then typing in subsequent box, then you can just manually move it to whatever size you wish. But your pic looks to be that you just clicked the "T" Tool and started typing. That's the way I do it, but then I convert to outlines so that it's an object I have more control over.

Dang!
You're right, I never draw text boxes, I just click the T tool. I thought for sure I've done it somehow but maybe not.

API

You can draw a box and then click on the path of that box with the area type tool (when you click and hold on the T tool it is the second one in the drop down menu) and then you can center it inside that box and the type is constrained to that shape. Is this what you were looking for?