• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do they do that??

Lauren

This is something that has been bothering me for a while, and it seems pretty trivial, but here goes anyways. We have an Edge printer and the roll holders for it. I don't understand how to use the roll holder for the vinyl that gets printed. It doesn't wind by itself around the roll, and the roll doesn't spin. Here's a picture from Gerber's website showing the whole "system". I would like to have my plotter near the Edge like they do, but the vinyl that gets printed piles up on that side. Anyone figured this out? Maybe it's easier than I think... designprintcut.jpg Thanks in advance and oh yeah, Happy Friday!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What is shown in your picture is using an extra roll holder and, yes, it has no great benefit because it is not motorized. It just makes things look a bit neater in the picture. The arrangement we use is to have our plotter turned so that we can feed the print into the plotter and, when enough print accumulates, we print and cut at the same time. One just has to be careful not to outrun the print or you'll be jerking and tearing the vinyl and ruining the job.

There used to be a motorized roller system that was sold by Graphic Marking Systems. They don't appear to offer it anymore but you might inquire with them about it if you're interested. As I recall it was fairly pricey ... a little under $2k which was more than I thought worth it to deal with the issue.

Lauren

Thanks, both of you. Now I can finally sleep easy ;)

That rewinder is nifty, but I agree that $2K is way too pricey. I am going to try turning our plotter like you mentioned, Fred. Thanks again!

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have the "output roll" here too on one of our setups. (the other just goes into a catch basket)
The benefit is when you're printing entire 50yard rolls of material at once. You don't want it just going everywhere and getting bent/scratched/dusty/etc.
So, you roll it up as it comes out onto the new core. Then when it goes on to the lamination dept that guy has a good day!