• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do They do this ? Cutting vinyl around edges

contigo

Can anyone help me with this ? I was trying to find answer here but without success.
How do professionals make such a decals ?
Do They have any vector templates and cut the exact shape on vinyl cutter/plotter? or is there any special knife or tool which can be used to cut these edges right after the vinyl is applied on the vehicle ?
Thank you very much for your help

Attachments

• sanitka.jpg
    sanitka.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 76

MikePro

search for knifeless tape. easiest way to go.
regardless, it is all done by hand. in this case, most likely that it was a thicker painter's fine-line tape (rubber) that is laid-down before the vinyl. The applicator then applies the vinyl over the top, and carefully cuts through the vinyl but not through the fine-line tape (OR the paint job!). Remove the excess, and the non-stick painter's tape is then pulled out from underneath the vinyl.

Richard G

Not to be rude but it looks to me like they used cheap vinyl and cut it to the edge and just let it shrink to size. Just my 2 cents:rock-n-roll:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Nah that's reflective. Best to not try and wrap around the edges. For the most part, if myself or my other very very experienced installer and applying it, we freehand cut it right on the vehicle. If its someone installing not as experienced (cannot cut vinyl without cutting paint) then fine line tape, or create a pattern first with pencil on app tape.

contigo

Ouuu.. thank you very much for your advise... I have never heard anything about knifeless tape until now... I am just watching videos on youtube. It looks perfect. But I hope i will get this tape in my local shop, cause I will need it tomorow morning.
Last time when I did the similar decals I was cutting it on the plotter and it was terrible, it didnt fit well and it took very long time to make vector template,.... never again :S