Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you adhere Alumacor or Coroplast to Plywood?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by mjohnsonsa, Aug 4, 2020.

1. mjohnsonsa

mjohnsonsa New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    We need to make some temporary road-side signage for an event. We are going to print 4ft x 8ft graphics on vinyl using HP Latex and then adhere them to either ACM or Coroplast... Do you all have tips on adhering the ACM or Coro to Plywood or OSB? I wasn't sure if it would be better to use something that rolls on or that you squeeze on (like liquid nails). Any tips would be appreciated!

Matt

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Fasteners would be what I'd use. If you used 6mm you likely don't need the plywood backer. If you use adhesive, I guess I'd trust something with some thickness and flexibility to it, rather than something you roll.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Why not put It directly on a sheet of painted mdo?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    texas signmaker is tight, nothing wrong with a few fasteners
    we have short deck screws & fender washers painted to "normal" colors (black, white, red, blue, green, brown, etc) . choose a solid colored area on your print. strengthens your liquid nails, construction adhesive or whatever

• Like Like x 1
  5. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    why not just lay prints on 10mil pvc or 1/4" acm to begin with. cut out a lot of work for you

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Active Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    They also make plywood with an aluminum face

7. mjohnsonsa

mjohnsonsa New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    The price is high right now for MDO. Not sure if there is a shortage due to political signs or what but that is why I was thinking of using the Coro on OSB option.

8. mjohnsonsa

mjohnsonsa New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Yes, that stuff is very nice but very expensive for a very short term use.

9. mjohnsonsa

mjohnsonsa New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    I am afraid it would be too light and flimsy for that large of a sign and the wind would cause it to buckle. However, if a wood frame was made behind it then that actually is a good idea but I would have to see if it would be worth the time to make a wood frame. Thanks.

10. SeeEmWhyKay

SeeEmWhyKay Print Plug & Pigment Procurer

Apr 22, 2020
    Fresno, Ca
    If it's available in your area- I use 10mm Coroplast often in place of MDO for site/ political signage faces with great results. I get a couple of 2x4" stringers across the back to support it if need be and it's a done deal. Granted the posts are painted and the auger doesn't hit hardpan it's a 30 minute install with 2 gents. Best of luck with your project!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If things are too expensive, why waste YOUR time building frames and whatnot outta cheap substrates ?? They either pay for what they want and you give it to them.... or they pay extra for your extra time. Building frames to support a cheap Cor-X sign is ludicrous, just because they don't wanna spend any money. How much time do you already have invested trying to figure this out ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Use $35 3mm ACM and two stringers between your post and call it a day. Or if you dont have a flatbed, print on banner at attach w/ fasteners w/ grommets

• Like Like x 2
  13. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama

2-2x4s behind this would sufficewould suffice, better yet i would use 10mil coro. cheap as hell easy to install

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brando

Brando New Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Madison
    I live in New England and PVC sags and bows like crazy when it gets hot even though it’s not that hot here.

15. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    He may be tight.
    But fasteners work best.

16. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I find these comments sexually harassing.

17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I think netsol meant right, not tight, cause he repeated the same sentiments.

18. SteveQuincey

SteveQuincey New Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Meriden, CT
    Screws.