• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you approach business?

J

john1

Hey my fellow sign makers! I've been in the business for a few years but want to keep it going with approaching new businesses locally.

I currently have a local list of the new businesses in my area that filed for licenses and have some questions.

I'm not into cold calling so what is a good way to approach these businesses you walk into? I have new business cards made up but am lost on what to say to gain their business or let them know my services are here if they need anything. Most will probably have one of them 4 other shops doing their signs and banners currently.

I have the capabilities of doing digital printing and cut vinyl in house.

Thanks!

-John

Mosh

Not once in 22 years have I ever went out of the shop to look for customers.
Word of mouth from other customers is the best form of advertising you can do.

I hate when people come into my shop trying to sell stuff.

TheSnowman

Become the lowballer in town, and it just walks right to you. You get the cream of the crop for customers too. Sorry Mosh, couldn't resist your theory. It obviously works though.

I've always marketed my services online through viral marketing methods.

Even if you do not have a website, enter your business information on any sites that will show your business when people are searching online for local services, such as Google Local.

I definitely agree about word-of-mouth being the very best method. Make sure you make every client you currently have as happy as you can and it will pay off in the end, because they will be happy to refer you to their friends and family.

Brandon708

Hey my fellow sign makers! I've been in the business for a few years but want to keep it going with approaching new businesses locally.

I currently have a local list of the new businesses in my area that filed for licenses and have some questions.

I'm not into cold calling so what is a good way to approach these businesses you walk into? I have new business cards made up but am lost on what to say to gain their business or let them know my services are here if they need anything. Most will probably have one of them 4 other shops doing their signs and banners currently.

I have the capabilities of doing digital printing and cut vinyl in house.

Thanks!

-John

Just walk in and try not to waste their time. Hand him/her a business card and tell him you make signs. If he has any signage needs to call you. Say thanks then start heading out. If he/she stops you to strike up a conversation then there is your chance to explain what exactly it is you do.

I have done this twice (2 shops) to sign companies in the area. I don't make a habit of it cause I don't like being "that guy" who solicit's.

This is based off of how I would like people to come in who ignore the NO SOLICITING sign on our door.

I hope this helps.

P.S. NEVER COLD CALL
We all hate that and I'm sure you do too.

mark in tx

Brandons' method works.

"Hi, I make signs, give me a call if you need anything."
Leave card.
Smile as you walk out the door.

there is a thread out there ... somewhere ... a few weeks ago regarding advertising that has a few ideas and thoughts you might want to consider.

personally i believe that there are much more effective ways to sell your services than cold calling. if you do not have a referal system in place...you should.

if you are going to prospect to newly licensed businesses i would put together a marketing packet specifically for this purpose. be direct about why you are sending them the information, be genuine and educational. there was a merchant member here who was selling a marketing packet that might fit this need pretty well or could be modified to do so, educating the client on the various options available to fulfill their needs, etc. and then of course and most importantly follow up...