• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you build a sign frame inside a brick monument?

WhatsYourSign?

We're venturing into new territory and would like to build out a frame for 6 signs that will be placed inside a brick structure that is already built (picture below).

I spoke with our primary supplier and while they can provide some of the material, they don't sell the type of framing we'd need for a job like this.

Can anybody point me in the direction of any resources so I can begin researching this project?

Thanks in advance!

MLLeZYg.jpg

Billct2

It would help to see the sign. It makes a difference how it fits and what it's made of. But fastening to a brick structure is fairly simple.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
seems like the cart was put before the horse.....

99 out of 100 times this is designed before the structure is built....

sounds like the original sign guy is out?

impossible to suggest what to use when you give 50% of the information needed

WhatsYourSign?

seems like the cart was put before the horse.....

99 out of 100 times this is designed before the structure is built....

sounds like the original sign guy is out?

impossible to suggest what to use when you give 50% of the information needed

I don't think there was a previous sign person, think it was a case of the builder building the structure and the tenants taking on having the sign built (which is where we come in).

I'm trying to educate myself here...if you let me know what further information you need, I'll definitely follow up with it.

Thank you for your help.

WhatsYourSign?

What type of sign are you hanging? ACM, foam, cedar..?

I'm trying to figure out best practices here. Is there a specific material you'd recommend to use with a frame like this?

We do plenty of outdoor signs, but I have not personally built a frame into a monument sign like I'm currently trying to figure out so I'm unfamiliar with the best practices for materials and what not (which is why I'm asking here).

It'll likely be some sort of frame and back panel, with signs installed inside the frame.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm trying to figure out best practices here. Is there a specific material you'd recommend to use with a frame like this?

We do plenty of outdoor signs, but I have not personally built a frame into a monument sign like I'm currently trying to figure out so I'm unfamiliar with the best practices for materials and what not (which is why I'm asking here).

It'll likely be some sort of frame and back panel, with signs installed inside the frame.

Lighted??

rjssigns

If I understand the frame will be exposed. I would fab an aluminum frame then paint or powdercoat to match or contrast. No rust stains ruining the sign or brick is worth it.

2B

The type of sign is going to dictate the frame and mounting method.

example an ACM panel is going to be different than a backlit cabinet.
you also have to take into account the building codes for that location of the sign.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Not sure what you keep meaning by "best practices" here...sounds like you have no idea where to even start and are asking how to mount this "best practices" sign.

WhatsYourSign?

Lighted??

Unlit.

Perhaps I'm just overcomplicating things. I just drove around to look at a bunch of similar structures and it looks like most are just panels attached to the brick...I was thinking we needed a frame that each sign would fit nicely inside vs. just a panel and the signs attached to the panel without any sort of framing.

unclebun

The cheapest method would be to screw some lumber to the brick pillars with masonry screws in anchors, run some lumber stringers across the width, then screw an ACM sign to the stringers that essentially fills the space. It'll be ugly from the back unless you make it two sided.

You can also have a frame welded from square steel tube (or aluminum if you have someone that can do that) which is screwed to the pillars, then attach flat faces to that frame. The frame will typically be built like a ladder.

If you're making a sandblasted foam face or a carved foam face, you'll want to have the foam sign built with a steel strap edge that has mounting flanges, which can then be used to screw to the brick pillars.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

I've attached a picture of a similar sign installation we did (though it uses faux stone pillars).

Attachments

• Riverview Sandblasted Sign 004.JPG
    Riverview Sandblasted Sign 004.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 263

IDB Signs

You can also buy post/panel extrusions to accomplish something like your photo there, as well. We have done a couple between brick pillars like this, all unlit. We used an aluminum cabinet body and ACM panels. Made the outer measurements of the cabinet a couple inches smaller than the opening, then used all-thread and threaded hangers to attach it to the brick and lock nuts inside the cabinet body. Then it was essentially 'floating' and had an equal gap on all 3 sides between the brick. Of course, there are other and I'm sure better ways of doing things.

henryz

You just answered your own question, drive around and see what you would like to do and if you don't know what you are looking at, take some pictures and ask here. There are different ways of doing them but with out you knowing what your customer wants is difficult to explain how to do it...

WhatsYourSign?

The cheapest method would be to screw some lumber to the brick pillars with masonry screws in anchors, run some lumber stringers across the width, then screw an ACM sign to the stringers that essentially fills the space. It'll be ugly from the back unless you make it two sided.

You can also have a frame welded from square steel tube (or aluminum if you have someone that can do that) which is screwed to the pillars, then attach flat faces to that frame. The frame will typically be built like a ladder.

If you're making a sandblasted foam face or a carved foam face, you'll want to have the foam sign built with a steel strap edge that has mounting flanges, which can then be used to screw to the brick pillars.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

I've attached a picture of a similar sign installation we did (though it uses faux stone pillars).

This is extremely helpful, thank you.

visual800

we build an aluminum frame out of 2x4 or 2x3. then skin it with aluminum. (or whatever substrate you use) i NEVER build a sign for these types of brickwork until the brick is done. We attach the frame from inside with long bolts

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, your signs are gonna be about 16" × 48" each...... correct ?? Not being backlit, means you're gonna hafta have some lighting fixtures on the ground. Is a dedicated electric line already run to it ?? If so, talk the people into an electric sign with LEDs and put a topper on it naming the establishment. Have someone you know build it and then lag it into the brick. That is real brick..... correct ?? Work with them and try to get the 6 tenants' signs to do, once they move in. Become the authorized sign guy for the location, so you can assure them, everything will be kosher.