• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you charge for machine time.

Hillmann

I don't know if this is appropriate to ask this, if not I am sure it will get remove.

How much do you charge for machine time, and how do you figure out machine time when doing and estimate?

If I am running more than one of an item I will run the job on the machine without anything in it. That way I know the exact time that it will take to run and have a starting point. But many of my jobs are one of and people want a general idea of what it will cost and to give them a number I pretty much completely guess on the time it will take and some times I am WAY off and have to eat the difference (I will not charge more for a job than what I estimated it at, unless the customer makes changes).

skyhigh

when I think of "machine time", I think of CNC router work?

I guess that is where posting in the proper thread would come in handy.

Hillmann

when I think of "machine time", I think of CNC router work?

I mean like plotter time for cut vinyl or in my case, laser time. At the moment I charge $1 a minute for my CO2 lasers (which I feel I am charging much less than I should and may change that) and $5 per minute on my YAG's (on the YAG's I won't put anything into them for less then $10)

SignManiac

I charge a minimum of $100 per hour for machine time. Does not include materials. Broken bit are not cheap to replace either.

WildWestDesigns

I count my machine as labor charges. 85 an hr for most machines, it really all depends on your overhead.

That's how I charge for my embroidery machine time. Usually I can get pretty accurate when I have a stitch count of how long it's going to take per head. Depending on how many heads I can have going.

Custom_Grafx

1 off jobs you MUST have a minimum fee. Do not work off machine time for a one off, you will kill yourself.

There are a few good threads here about pricing, but it usually comes back to good common sense, basic math, and some management skills to help you monitor, track and assess the effectiveness of your formulas.