• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you create a cut line around a vector?

J

john1

Hey guys, I am learning the corel draw ropes and am having a few basic issues.

Usually in Adobe illustrator i copy the entire vector, paste in back, combine all layers so it's one big one, then just put a CutContour outline and there is my contour cut line.

How do i do this in corel? I have the color CutContour set up already.

Thanks!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
1. Select all the objects you want to set the contour around
2. From the top tool bar select the "create boundary" icon (white box /black box with a black outline)
3. Contour effect (Ctrl+F9) or select from the top or side menus.
Set this to a single outer contour with the offset you want.
4. Ctrl k to break the contour apart from the boundary
That should be it - set the stroke to what is needed for the cutcontour to use it.

wayne k
guam usa

Roto

If you are using X5 go to Arrange > Shaping > Boundry - then change it to the cutcontour colour.

Robert's your Relative.

Roto

J

john1

Thanks, I got it to work but even with just 1 step put in i get multiple contour lines.

Also, the outline is very "pointy", Any way to round them off?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 81

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Select the points with the shape tool that you want to round off.
Open the "Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer" docker (this is a good one to keep anchored to the right side tool bar).
From there you can adjust the fillet size and see a live preview of what the result will be as you change the numbers.

wayne k
guam usa

J

john1

I'm having a heck of a time here....

How do you make a outline and fill one solid object? I figured making a copy of the entire vector then making a thick outline and combining both the fill and outline would make for a easy contour cut shape but i can't combine them both. I even hit weld and all.

Thanks guys

TwoNine

What I normally do is create a 'contour' around a shape and then break them apart to have two separate images. (i.e. - I have a 1" circle. Place a contour on it at, say, .5" - now go and right click inside the new shape - select "Break Apart..." or something like that - It's just Ctrl+K...) Than you can move the shapes independently. One being a 1" circle still...The other a 2" circle..

Answer your question? Or did I not understand you right?

Hope it helped at this wee hour.

TwoNine

That or if you mean combine to two shapes...Then select both and press Crtl+L to combine them... That's probably what you meant, huh....

Jackpine

Everything TwoNine and GAC05 said.
Thanks for the X5 tip. I've been looking for the boundary method in X5.

J

john1

Here is what i mean, Like see i have the rectangle with a thick outline, How do i make that one solid shade? Even making the outline and fill the same color i can't figure out how to make it one solid shape. Tried weld, convert to object and everything.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 92

cajun312

Here is what i mean, Like see i have the rectangle with a thick outline, How do i make that one solid shade? Even making the outline and fill the same color i can't figure out how to make it one solid shape. Tried weld, convert to object and everything.

Convert the black outline to an object, then you can color it red and delete the smaller square. If the black was done with the contour tool you have to "break contour group apart", then you can delete the smaller shape.

Joe Diaz

... holy crap... I've never used Corel....and this thread makes me glad I haven't

Why because someone who is used to doing things in Illy is having a hard time doing a similar thing in a different program? Were you expecting the steps to be identical in both Illy and Draw?

Back to the OP:
from what I remember during my short time using illustrator, converting the stroke into curves was comon practice. I think it was called "outline stroke" I could be wrong. A similar feature in Draw is called "convert outline to object" it's located under "arrange" So if you are comfortable with how Illustrator works, you might feel comfortable with that feature. However, many CorelDraw users prefer the "contour" tools. But there are two ways to skin a cat here.

If the sharp points are an issue do like what Wayne suggested and use the "Fillet/Scallop/Chamfer" docker. Although I like to use that on the original shape before I add the contour. the size of that curve could be minuscule, so small that you would never notice the curve, but when you add the contour your sharp points will now be nice and rounded.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Pretty much what joe said, if you spend the extra time to make a rounded stroke, convert the stroke, break it apart and remove inner stroke bucket ... when going to contour the object will result in a round line for the contour.

Had a few minutes, here are the steps for a contour outline in corel draw. step-1.jpg is showing group ... contour won't work without it. then go to effects -> contour and your contour tab will load up (step-2.jpg) do the settings you like, i chose green so I can see it. Then in step-3.jpg ... break contour will seperate it from the group. then you are done. probably take you about 30 seconds.

Attachments

• STEP-1.jpg
    STEP-1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 63
  • STEP-2.jpg
    STEP-2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 105
  • STEP-3.jpg
    STEP-3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 78

royster13

Or you could Google Youtube videos on the subject.....Youtube is the mother load of everything anyone ever needs to learn.....

Joe Diaz

It appears as though in your screen shot the "outline" isn't an "outline" (like a stoke in illustrator) but is actually a contour, which is really a separate vector shape. "outlines" in Corel aren't vector shapes until you convert it into one. To do that you would go to: "arrange" > "convert outline to object" Contours are vector shapes, however you do have to "break apart" the contour shape and the original shape. To do this I right click on the contour and select "break contour group a part" Then you would be able to weld the two objects together.

To weld you need to select both shapes, the red box and the black contour, then use the weld command.