• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how do you deal with the heat!!!

gabagoo

Extremely hot and humid here today. The front offices and upstairs printer area are air conditioned (even that seems a bit lame today), but the back shop and the mezzanine are brutal.

I just spent 10 minutes weeding some vinyl and masking and I am melting.

I think I will leave early today as I cant think it is healthy to have to work in conditions like this.

jiarby

It is hot here but the humidity is usually pretty low... last week it was 2%! Even 115° is reasonably tolerable in the shade with a breeze. We play golf in the afternoons when no one else is on the course because it is too hot. You have to drink plenty of water!

Most of my shop equipment is in air conditioned space except the graphics press and laser engraver which I operate remotely (just have to load and unload material now and then)

FatCat

Getting in at 5-6 AM helps a lot and then trying to knock off as early as possible. We open all the doors and bay and let out all the heat from the prior afternoon. Then we button up around 10-11AM and deal with it the best we can. Printer room and entrance room is A/C but the shop is not.

The heat seems bad when it gets in the high 80's low 90's and usually we're also experiencing 60-70%+ humidity. Sure does zap your will to work.

OneUpTenn

How big is the shop area? Would it benefit you to get a window unit? You know you can buy those systems like they use in hotel rooms and stuff that serve as both heat and air and fairly reasonably priced.

Craig Sjoquist

Plenty water .. even OJ helps ..but here in Florida, with a long day I'll work the morning as long as able 4 maybe 5 hours, stop take a 2 hour break maybe more, till about 2 or 3 maybe 4 go back to work for another 4 to 5 hours if needed course this my outside work in the sun just depends also we get rain about everyday at 3 pm so I watch that also sometimes lucky to get 5 hours work in outside, but fans really help for inside stuff, I also do not work in A/C or drive or sleep in fans only but it's kinda nice when it's available to cool down with.

gabagoo

How big is the shop area? Would it benefit you to get a window unit? You know you can buy those systems like they use in hotel rooms and stuff that serve as both heat and air and fairly reasonably priced.

I have a portable 11,000 btu air conditioner that has a seperate fan that would go in the window to exhaust hot air. I was thinking that by itself it could never cool the back down as the ceiling is about 25 feet or so, but if I just plug it in and keep it pointed directly at myself, back there then the cool air will hit me and the fan will just have to exhaust to the open back roll up door. It wont cool anything down except me with it about 6" from my back!!!! I do that tomorrow and see if I feel more motivated to do anything application wise

stickermonkey

no kidding!! It's hot here too and with the sun beating inside my windows...ouchie!

I like to come in early or work in the evening once the humidity dies down a bit.

Kyla

bwizz

3000sqft, 3m high celings, 2x HpZ6100's, 1x Hp5500 60"
1x Mutoh 1604, 2x Seal 62" pro lams and the temp is...

Attachments

• temp[1].jpg
    temp[1].jpg
    19 KB · Views: 89

signgal

Oh well that's easy... in Florida it's usually hot, so I send hubby out on installs and stay inside in the AC. Yep! that's my solution! roflmao just kidding. Craig's got to be the master. Do whatever he says LOL

dfeicke

Couple of thoughts.......

I used to suffer with the heat. Drinking water helped, but not much. Friend of mine said "Drink Gatorade". Man, what a difference. I could actually feel like I was coming back to life, after a short time. Not a plug; just try it. I usually dilute the mixture more than it says, so as not to drink so much sugar.

Another idea, my shop is separate from the house. It's unheated and uncooled, pole barn-type building with a metal roof. My computer, cutter and layout stuff are in the house. I get up early, go out in the shop and work as long as I can stand it; then go inside and do layouts and stuff for next day. In winter, I reverse the steps.

We have heat and humidity here. Until last Saturday, we had had 29 straight days of over 90 already this year....so hey, Canada, come on down.

Jillbeans

For today, it's a cheap kiddie pool.
(not working today neither is Rachael)
It's a balmy 93° right now.
I actually kind of like it as long as I am not out in the piercing sun.
Beats freezing my @ss off in winter!
Love...Jill

Attachments

• 0705101614.jpg
    0705101614.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 82

schramm

I guess I played it smart! My entire set up is in my house. My office is in 1 bedroom, my workshop is in my 1000 sf basement, storage is a 1500 sf building out back and mirror showoff area is a 40' x 15' enclosed front porch! My basement has a woodshed, work area with layout table, wash area, huge wash sink, then an entire room dedicated to sandblasting and painting. My issue is height (6.75' ceilings). Right now my basement is 70 degrees and my office is much cooler.
If nothing else it keeps the overhead down. Unfortunately I don't have much overhead room!

Baz

My shop has AC but i left my experienced guy to work in it. I was actually outside today with another guy installing a 6'x8' sign, x3 - 4'x6' signs and a couple of aluminum signs. I was happy we were not on one big job, outside all day .. we could put up each sign in about a hour each. So we could go back in the shade (my truck's AC isn't working lol). Secret is pace yourself, wear a hat and drink lots (i mean lots!) of water. It turned out to be a very nice (yes hot) day. Better than two weeks ago when we got caught digging holes in heavy rain. Spent last week with a cold! I hate summer colds!

gabagoo

welly solution was clear and I shut shop at 3:30 and headed home to this!!!!

tomorrow I gonna get in by 7 and do the manual labour stuff first and see if I make it past 4

Attachments

• beat da heat.jpg
    beat da heat.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 98