Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you do this??

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Driving Force, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Driving Force

Driving Force Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Does someone have an easy way to do the light burst effect?, or is there a plugin that works well?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Use the airbrush tool in Adobe PhotoShop.

3. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

4. Tom

Tom Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Port Chester, NY
    Corel Photo paint with " EYE CANDY 4000" plug in from Alien Skin can create the whole thing, chrome and all, in about 5 minutes.

5. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Actually, the sample image is a bit more complex that just throwing some stupid plug-in at it.

I don't think the image is entirely successful in making a realistic looking allen screw head. But it is pretty clear it took more than a couple steps to create.

The outer part of the screw head looks like a displacement map was used to create the warping effect on a photograph and then applied as the chrome source.

At least two or three paths (or alpha channels) are necessary to define the two spheres and hexagon in a couple different selections. Some of the color is obviously applied using brushes and blur effects. Photoshop's inner bevel layer filter (and possibly outer bevel as well) was clearly used -likely with the chisel hard setting since the pixellation is clearly visible along edges of the sphere.

The highlight can be created very easily by making a vector path in the paths palette and turning it into a selection to then airbrush, blur or do other modifications to fine tune the result.

6. txsurfer

txsurfer Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Texas
    Aurora Graphics

7. PLECKO

PLECKO Member

Apr 4, 2005
    There are brushes in photoshop that will do the starburst effect.:Coffee:

8. srt10x3

srt10x3 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    I believe that is a POV Ray traced rendering. I recall seeing it in one of the samples/demo files.

Craig

9. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    or google photoshop sparkles, tons of links

10. Driving Force

Driving Force Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Thanks for all the help. I finally created a custom brush to use in photoshop. I didnt really care about the bolt, just the highlight.

11. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    I found a quick easy way was to open up flexi or Illy, and create the starburst in a vector format, manually if necessary, then cut & paste it from there into P'shop. That may seem crude but it works well. You can paste several times if needed, and you get a good sharp-edged starburst each time.

12. Git-R-Done

Git-R-Done Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Just trying to help

I did a little surfing and found this guys tutorial on the subject. I had done this already for myself awhile back but thought for those who don't know how or are too lazy this guy was good to ya. If you notice at the end of his tutorial he actually gives you the completed brush strokes and tells you how to add into photoshop. Again, always a good Idea to learn how to do it yourself. Hope it helps!
    http://www.podcollective.com/fora/viewtopic.php?t=574&sid=aef50f2affa8168921c098ea061a0d0b

T.G.I.F.
    :wine-smi: