• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How do you feel about this....................... ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ordered some things yesterday from a distributor whom we've been getting from for years. As of December 15th or so, they are putting into effect a minimum order of $150. Fine. Placed my order which came to several hundred dollars. It consisted of various items. Fine. Everything was checked and I got a confirmation it would all be going out, yesterday. Got an e-mail last night around 7:30 which I thought odd, but it stated my one item was back-ordered and won't be available til after January 3rd. Should I be on the hook for a second shipping ?? Also, this one item will not reach their new minimum, which will mean a higher price.

Who is responsible for their shortcomings ??

:thankyou: Gino

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your original order was above the minimum order so I think they should honor that. It's not your fault it's on back order. I personally don't charge an extra shipping charge for back ordered items but pretty much all of my suppliers do which I think is pretty cheesy.

Is the company you are working with Japanese based? I get emails from my Mimaki inside sales rep at midnight sometimes. They never stop working!

FASTSIGNS

For sure the backordered item should not have to meet the minimum (as it was part of a larger order).
Shipping is tricky. Would shipping it with the original order been more costly - meaning are you actually saving any shipping cost on the original order (less the backorder). Is it worth complaining about? Or are you asking on principal? I have 2 vendors that offer free shipping over a certain $ amount purchased. So if an item is back ordered (or a split shipment) there is no shipping cost to me on either shipments. Not exactly what you were asking about I know.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The company is in Ohio. Totally all American made stuff. The bulk of the weight will be coming tomorrow. The part not coming, probably will weigh about 4lbs. I think this is the first time in about 16 years, that they've back-ordered something. Just when their new rules are going into effect.

I'm just preparing myself, in case they do pull something.

Thank you all for your input. It kinda reimburses what I already thought.​

MikePro

i've never been upcharged additionals for backordered items. Prices listed should reflect prices upon invoicing.

Unless stated in their terms it should be free on the second delivery as well. And any discounts based on total order should be honored.

Jimmy Burds

Ordered some things yesterday from a distributor whom we've been getting from for years. As of December 15th or so, they are putting into effect a minimum order of $150. Fine. Placed my order which came to several hundred dollars. It consisted of various items. Fine. Everything was checked and I got a confirmation it would all be going out, yesterday. Got an e-mail last night around 7:30 which I thought odd, but it stated my one item was back-ordered and won't be available til after January 3rd. Should I be on the hook for a second shipping ?? Also, this one item will not reach their new minimum, which will mean a higher price.

Who is responsible for their shortcomings ??

:thankyou: Gino

Jimmy Burds

Unless I'm reading this wrong, you have not asked them directly. Call your rep. I cannot imagine they would sacrifice a 16 year customer for a few dollars. If they would, then find a new vendor. Vendor / client relationships should be a partnership with open communication.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They sent a notice out about the minimum order taking place on December something. Since my BO will only come to about $125. there's a good possibility it might happen. As for the freight part, that's already happened to me with other people years ago. Just wondering what others thought. This is the best place to get what I'm getting from them. I deal direct with the manufacturer, due to the amount of business I've done with them over the years. I've cut all the middle people outta the equation. Therefore, they do have a kinda high & mighty attitude sometimes.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I would assume the company won't charge you, most don't as they base it on time of order not secondary shipments.

If they do, have the conversation with them and guage their intent on being a supplier to you. Only you know what is valuable to your company in a Client-Vendor relationship. We are willing to pay a bit more for exceptional service, and if this was one of my key vendors, I would discuss it and move on paying if we had to.

Billct2

You met the minimum, there should be no shipping charges. It's on them that they can't send it in one shipment.

Stacey K

I like making signs
If the site allows you to order and pay for a BO item, it is part of the order and they should pay any additional shipping fees - as you were not notified at time of order. If you had known ahead it was BO, you would have waited until it was in stock to order - by that time it's likely you would have needed additional items and would have met the minimum $$. If they are going to charge you extra shipping then they need to update their site with real time inventory notices. You could cancel the BO item and wait for it to be back in stock then order it. Perhaps they hadn't even thought of this scenario, I would bring it to their attention if you're double charged.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, a little update.

Last week, I got confirmation that the back ordered parts would be going out January 3rd. Got another e-mail yesterday stating they wouldn't be going out til after February 6th. My customer was already upset about the 3 week delay. I couldn't add another 4.5 weeks. so I pitched a b!tch. Got an e-mail today, they have on old discontinued number of what seems to be similar, if I'd like them. I called them and discussed the differences. Seems they had a merger about 2 years ago and the discontinued items are EXACTLY the same as the present day number, so they're actually identical, other than the part number. She said she would send these out at NO CHARGE for the pieces I ordered and they''re picking up the UPS. I just got confirmation to that effect, too.

I'm very happy, although it took a few extra days to make it happen, it's still better then 2.5 months of waiting, plus they're free ))))))