• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you find a graphics position in 2011?

N.E.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I'm employed in this economy and won't get layed-off anytime soon but, I was informed of something recently that is going to make my job unbearable. I'm not even sure I could properly describe the situation, but this change is going to happen in the next couple months and I HAVE to get out. There is no scenario there that will work for me. If I get a new position with a better company or not I'll probably walk in the next 8 weeks. My real problem is how to go about finding that new job. I've been using Monster for years. And a few other online services and an eye on Craigslist but, I have not seen 1 large format sign company advertise any position on those. With the exception of the occasional we're looking for someone to do all our prepress, printing and finsihing work for $12/hour :rolleyes:. Give me a break. I plan on sending out unsolicited resumes but, I haven't had any luck with that since the 90s. When they were just so excited someone with desktop publishing experience contacted them.

Anyone else have any success with any other methods?

TIA
N.E.

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 and people.

To answer your question.. you going about it somewhat correctly add to your list Linkedin,
There you will find Co. and people looking for employees, employers and contacts for present, future also resources.

Yes on Craigslist I suppose Monster also and like sites, I'll be somewhat amazed if you find a Co. willing to pay a fair wage since so many button pushing graphic designer wannabe's have devalued the advertising industry.

So one way to look for a good Co. to work for is knock on doors of sign, print, advertising firms that really do the type of work you like and are capable of doing.

This is how I've managed to find part time help myself, when placing a ad on Craigslist I received nearly a 100 with just a hour of being on list , even days & weeks later, none did hand painted signs like I was looking for.

Most are just looking for a paycheck, willing to work is another story.

njshorts

Welcome!

A post here is a good start. If I were you, I'd start networking... Walking into shops and handing a resume is a tough road- I get a couple per month, all of em go to the 'filing cabinet'. When I need to hire, I pull resources from local friends in the industry- people they've worked with before, personal referrals, etc.

N.E.

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 and people.

To answer your question.. you going about it somewhat correctly add to your list Linkedin,
There you will find Co. and people looking for employees, employers and contacts for present, future also resources.

Yes on Craigslist I suppose Monster also and like sites, I'll be somewhat amazed if you find a Co. willing to pay a fair wage since so many button pushing graphic designer wannabe's have devalued the advertising industry.

So one way to look for a good Co. to work for is knock on doors of sign, print, advertising firms that really do the type of work you like and are capable of doing.

This is how I've managed to find part time help myself, when placing a ad on Craigslist I received nearly a 100 with just a hour of being on list , even days & weeks later, none did hand painted signs like I was looking for.

Most are just looking for a paycheck, willing to work is another story.

Thank you. Linkedin is a great suggestion. I had forgotten about that one. I just submitted a profile.

N.E.

Welcome!

A post here is a good start. If I were you, I'd start networking... Walking into shops and handing a resume is a tough road- I get a couple per month, all of em go to the 'filing cabinet'. When I need to hire, I pull resources from local friends in the industry- people they've worked with before, personal referrals, etc.

That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the reply. It must be nice to work in and live in FL. Hurricanes aside.

njshorts

That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the reply. It must be nice to work in and live in FL. Hurricanes aside.

I'd trade ya if it werent Boston :p

I'm from Ohio, love the northeast... wanted to go further east even when I was in OH.

Florida pretty much sucks, it's God's waiting room. Plus hurricanes. Plus humidity. Plus meth.

Best of luck in your search!

brdesign

Unfortunately Graphic Designers have become a dime a dozen, especially with websites where you can get designs from 100's of designers all over world just for the price of hiring one designer. Most of the advertized jobs are just looking for the cheapest worker, the few decent jobs left are usually filled by word or mouth and networking.

Most of the ads in my area usually read something like
Wanted Graphic Designer/Customer Service Rep/Sign Maker/Installer/Delivery Driver/Janitor/Store Manager $10 per Hr

Pat Whatley

The industry is shrinking. Technology has made production faster and easier. Most of the work in most small shops can be handled by a $10 an hour employee. Shops handling larger projects can easily find a supplier for complex tasks they don't want to handle in-house. As the need for skilled, knowledgeable employees shrinks the jobs that do come available are very competitively sought out. Sitting around waiting on Monster to deliver you to the promised land isn't going to work. Get your resume nailed down, start making phone calls, and get it in the hands of the person who can actually hire you (sending it to the company's general address is a good way to get it tossed out before anybody important actually sees it).
Good luck to you.

signswi

Unfortunately Graphic Designers have become a dime a dozen, especially with websites where you can get designs from 100's of designers all over world just for the price of hiring one designer. Most of the advertized jobs are just looking for the cheapest worker, the few decent jobs left are usually filled by word or mouth and networking.

Most of the ads in my area usually read something like
Wanted Graphic Designer/Customer Service Rep/Sign Maker/Installer/Delivery Driver/Janitor/Store Manager $10 per Hr

Correction: bad designers are a dime a dozen. Companies that want bad designers you don't want to work at anyway. :thumb:

OP, LinkedIn requires active participation -- join groups that make sense, enter into the conversations. Answer questions in the Ask/Answer section. Scrape your email and connect with everyone you've ever done work with. Send out requests for recommendations. Make sure you have a really good, professional headshot uploaded. Write every section of your profile, well, with SEO in mind. Connect any apps that make sense (your twitter feed if you twitter on a professional level, a Behance portfolio, etc.). Link to your website(s).

Social tools are great but they aren't passive.

You may also want to think outside of this industry -- it's not a growth industry at all. If you're a trained designer there's no reason to pidgeon hole yourself into large format. If you're a trained prepress guy (can't really tell what you are from OP), cold call every print place within your commuting radius. Many traditional print houses are now getting into large format and you might be able to sell yourself that way. Be broad in your scope. You can always turn down a job, it's getting the offer that's important.

WildWestDesigns

Social tools are great but they aren't passive.

Be careful with that. It is a double edged sword. I friend of mine from back home made a post that wasn't well received from a fellow co-worker, reported it and he got into trouble at work.

I honestly wouldn't "friend" anyone from work unless your position is secure (such as being the boss).

I don't think anyone likes having their FB or equilivant accounts being used as a weeding tool by the business, but that is what is going on.

Now, it really is common sense on what to do on a those type of sites, but a lot of people make that mistake, more then probably would want to admit to, just becareful with them. Make sure your personal FB account has all the privacy settings maxed out, in case you really like to post pictures of you being drunk out of your mind or something along those lines. If you have a business (portfolio) page, like your tweeter feeds keep it professional. It can still have some personality to it, but just make sure it's still on the professional level.

signswi

I play it the same way basically: FB fully private (limited friends list, barely use it really...), Twitter public, LinkedIn public, Google+ a mix of both (thanks to circles...), etc.

Curating your personal brand is important always but doubly so if you're a job seeker.

On a side note, the National Labor Relations Board just ruled that bitching about your job or co-workers on Facebook is protected and can't be grounds for termination--but I wouldn't use that ruling as a shield, it's early days. Be smart.