• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Do You Find Out What Your Area Competitors Are Charging?

TimToad

My client's head on a daily basis ..... What????

Unless you are only doing this with service work or a particular type of work that isn't ordered at varying times of the year, I'm at a loss over how you or your affected customers can justify even slightly different pricing based on YOUR level of busyness. Our overhead costs except for cost of goods are pretty constant throughout the year, so our rates and pricing is based on that.

I'm not trying to be this dense about it, I'm just trying to picture the conversation when you tell someone you did a 4'x8' in March for $450 that its now $600 because you are swamped.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh..... good grief, I agree with the toadster. I guess the world is coming to an end. I'm gonna go out and jump off the milk box.

We have so many costumers' custom itemized jobs under code in our software, so we never run into this.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Unless you are only doing this with service work or a particular type of work that isn't ordered at varying times of the year, I'm at a loss over how you or your affected customers can justify even slightly different pricing based on YOUR level of busyness. Our overhead costs except for cost of goods are pretty constant throughout the year, so our rates and pricing is based on that.

I'm not trying to be this dense about it, I'm just trying to picture the conversation when you tell someone you did a 4'x8' in March for $450 that its now $600 because you are swamped.

I have a base price for most things. My base for 4x8's single side is $495+install. Two or three months ago I started getting overwhelmed so I rose it to $595... everyone gets that price UNLESS its a regular customer that routinely orders 4x8s... then I keep them at the base price. If I keep going at this pace and can't control the work coming in, I'll raise the base and everyone pays that new price.

On the flip side, if I start slowing down I'll adjust the "surge" price back down. Over the last few months I know I've been loosing sales of 4x8's which is fine... it's what I needed to control the amount of work. Of the ones that bought my 4x8s at the higher price, they got exceptional service and 3-4 day turn-around instead of 2-3 weeks at Slow Signs.

I'm a one man show so I know what my past customers routinely order.. You'd have to figure out how to make this method work for your shop having multiple people.

As equipaint said, labor is easier to mess around with.