• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you guys make a frame for signs that go off the side of a buiding? Or buy a frame?

0igo

Sorry that this picture is blurry, the sign is mounted by metal rod to the wall. It has 3 wires from the front of the sign to the wall as well. The metal frame runs all along the board edges. where can i buy a metal frame for this or how do i make one?

Attachments

• side bulding.png
    side bulding.png
    363.1 KB · Views: 347

MikePro

that's just aluminum angle. looks like 1/8" extruded 1x1, in the picture. I would try to make something closer to 2". should be on both sides of sign, to create a "T" that is mechanically fastened to wall
tension wire was most likely added for additional support.

kinda shotty if you ask me.
I overthink things, but better safe than sorry i guess:)....I would only bother making this kind of stuff for interiors, where wind load won't simply snap it off the building. Much better construction is deserving of overhead/hanging signage, that could fall and hurt people/damage property. For exterior signage, we would usually make something like this out of aluminum extrusions: 1/2" mounting plate bolted to the building, with a 2"+ tube/"arm" welded to it and either hang the sign from it, or fab the body of the sign around/onto it.

Last edited:

Pippin Decals

that's just aluminum angle. looks like 1/8" extruded 1x1, in the picture. I would try to make something closer to 2". should be on both sides of sign, to create a "T" that is mechanically fastened to wall
tension wire was most likely added for additional support.

kinda shotty if you ask me.
I overthink things, but better safe than sorry i guess:)....I would only bother making this kind of stuff for interiors, where wind load won't simply snap it off the building. Much better construction is deserving of overhead/hanging signage, that could fall and hurt people/damage property. For exterior signage, we would usually make something like this out of aluminum extrusions: 1/2" mounting plate bolted to the building, with a 2"+ tube/"arm" welded to it and either hang the sign from it, or fab the body of the sign around/onto it.

Great answer MikePro. I would do the same way as you would , Im kinda a over kill guy also, Better to be more safe than sorry lol...

Billct2

I've done a few smaller ones with a standard scroll bracket that we have a mounting plate welded to the base and then do the old school chain guy wires. These were for older building where they wanted that look. Most blade sign applications I have a custom welded frame with an oversized mounting plate. Fasteners depend on what the wall is.