• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you handle this?

Techman

The one time in a long while I did not get a deposit. Working on the referal of a good client i took a job without a deposit.
I now have the 4x8 panel beautiful panel hanging as a scalp in the materials rack.

I found that no deposit leaves one in the mercy of the buyer. if for some reason.. any reason at all he doesn't like the work he walks away without paying. We have to take equal risk in our dealings. 100% risk on our part is never fair. I feel if they refuse a deposit it means they do not have faith or trust and should not be using my services for any reason..

Colin

Unless I have a purchase order in hand, or a customer with a well established account that I am not worried about paying me, it's 50% down, 50% due at completion.

I just received a Purchase Order from a customer I've never dealt with before for a reasonably large decal job. Are Purchase Orders solid enough to proceed with the work, or could I get hung out to dry with that too?

Would it be offensive to also ask for a Credit Card number?

CanuckSigns

I just received a Purchase Order from a customer I've never dealt with before for a reasonably large decal job. Are Purchase Orders solid enough to proceed with the work, or could I get hung out to dry with that too?

Would it be offensive to also ask for a Credit Card number?

We just got burned on a po from a new client, turns out they have no money and can't pay the bill.

neil_se

Yeah a PO is for their own tracking purposes, it really means nothing to you as it's not a guarantee of payment.

You've done the right thing in not proceeding, if they've got such a problem with paying a deposit then the red flags would already be flying in my mind.

Our policy is:
100% for orders under $500
50/50% for orders over $500
Payment on completion for smaller long-term customers with good payment history
30 days accounts for established larger customers

Colin

Thanks. They're not exactly local, so I've also requested a CC number as a security deposit. If they refuse, then perhaps that's a sign (no pun intended), and I've weeded out a bad customer.