Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you hold up your material roll?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by bigben, Apr 11, 2013.

1. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Hi, I would like to have your idea of how do you hold your material roll in storage? Right now i use masking tape, but sometime it let some glue residue on the material.

So what do you do?

Ben

Tags:
  2. idsignsil

idsignsil Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Springfield, IL
    If you are talking about material for digital printing, we use velcro straps. All of the various supply houses have their own type. If it is material that is just cut vinyl, we use 1" wide transfer tape. It will still leave some residue if left on to long, but you can just wipe it off.

3. Make your own Straps from Velcro and Banner.

4. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    I use Velcro strips, made my own, purchased 1/2" wide black two sided (male one side -female other side) Velcro in a roll at Wally World (cheap), cut into 18" and 24" lengths to use on different size rolls. Easy one - easy off, no residue.

:smile:

5. AutoGraphx

AutoGraphx New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Mississauga, Canada
    Home Depot sells 1/4" wide roll of green velcro for holding up tomatoes. I just cut it into lengths to go around the roll.

6. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Thanks for all the ideas. I like the green velcro idea and it's cheap.

7. I cut strips of banner with hook and loop on either end, and use less Velcro. Velcro is overpriced!

8. JoeBoomer

JoeBoomer Member

Oct 28, 2009
    I use those "Sooper Clips" from Grimco or Fellers. I kind of felt like a tool buying them, but I don't have time to screw around making my own. They actually work well for almost everything (except full rolls of banner).

Just buy them and move on to your next Signs101 question. :)

http://www.grimco.com/Products.aspx?cid=0978&pid=13562

9. MrSalumi

MrSalumi Member

Oct 27, 2012
    earth
    1" in premask

10. jrsc

jrsc Member

Sep 24, 2008
    NY
    I also use the sooper clips from grimco. used tape for long time and it always left residue and always fell off. I held off on buying the sooper clips because of the price but now I wish I had a long time ago. one hand on and off and never falls off on its own.

11. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

2" R tape

12. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

13. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    What's wrong with using rubber bands ?

14. Xcesiv

Xcesiv Member

May 24, 2011
    i use similar to the sooper clips.. i got them for free from my distributors

easy to use and cheap ;)

15. BALLPARK

BALLPARK Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Radford, VA
  16. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton

Takes no TIME to make your own, because you don't actually make anything, get the roll of Velcro, and cut off a piece, that's it, nothing to it! Takes about 10 seconds.

The Velcro tie straps don't coast anywhere near as much as the plastic clips.

The Velcro tie straps never leave a mark on the vinyl like the clips do when pushing them on and pulling them off.

The Velcro tie straps never break like the plastic clips can if you try and force them on to a large roll.

The Velcro tie straps fits virtually any size roll, including large rolls of banner material, you need to order different size like the plastic clips.

:rock-n-roll:

17. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Slap bracelets!

18. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Lol i want a giant slap bracelet

19. fozzie

fozzie Member

Aug 26, 2012
    illinois
    Not a fan of super clips. Found out on vinyl and lam the ends will dig into the material and you damage 3-5' of material. Switched to Velcro.

20. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I just use a piece of masking tape at the top end where we never print, and if you use a 3m, more than likely you wont get residue unless it has been on for a while