• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you make a pan sign 3D mold and paint / vinyl lettering in California

trackvw

We are designing some signs for a local clothing company , 18 in wide -12 inch high , and one 50% larger or so. or whatever a standard size is,

they want an old school look pan sign with a raised logo and graphics on the flat area,

they are trying to get the "look" of a 1950's -60s signage.

So is the idea buy preformed pan sides and then CNC out the logo and have the preformed signs embossed with the logo , at least for the first ones ?
If the design works and they want 100 pieces what would you do ?

can we CNC the logo "mold" in Hardwood or is aluminum better ?

And for the graphics , would you have that printed on clear and install it on the inside of the pan front ?

Some if these will be inside , but some will be outside or in the front windows of shops.

and anyone in The Southern California area that would have blank pan sign fronts ?

I hope I have asked the right questions , normally we just do flat vinyl signs

thanks VW

Craig Sjoquist

Find a Mfg. in area or as close as you can get, send them the files have them do it. ... cause if your asking you have no idea. make it easy on self.

rjssigns

Sub it out. No, really. Sub it out.

But if you insist on DIY you can CNC the form out of pine and use bondo to finish the imperfections. That and tons of sanding. Forms must be perfect as any flaws will telegraph to the face. Biggest problem would be finding a place that does vac forming in your area. If you can find one willing to "pull" your form you're golden. But find out exactly how they want things prepped or you're in for a rude awakening.
One biggie people forget is to "draft" all vertical surfaces. 5 degrees "draft" angle is pretty standard. No draft = start over. You will NEVER release the plastic from the form.

John Butto

If you do this, which would be a huge learning curve, do not use pine. MDF or Particle board is your best bet. And if you want to do it as the 60's and 70's, cut it out with a table saw, band saw, oscillating drum sander and tabletop belt sander and use finishing nails to attach to back. But learning how to heat the plastic and what thickness and vacuum table etc. etc.

WildWestDesigns

Biggest problem would be finding a place that does vac forming in your area. If you can find one willing to "pull" your form you're golden. But find out exactly how they want things prepped or you're in for a rude awakening.

Since he is out in Cali, I would check the F/X shops. I think vacuum forming is pretty common with them. They might be willing to do it. Maybe.

trackvw

Thanks for your reply ,

I always like to learn how to do something so I can talk with the shop that is doing the work and know what they are talking about or be able to ask the right questions ,

and my friend has a CNC machine so he can make a few things when I need them,

I will ask a couple people we know in the film industry too -good idea !

Kottwitz-Graphics

How many are they asking for?

Typically, for a few, they would be formed ( in this instance its called pan formed and embossed), then a mask ( spraylat) would be sprayed, let dry, cut, and peeled, then painted with translucent paints.

if you have to do a lot of multiples, then they would be screen printed then formed.

It is an involved process, so your going to be better off subbing it out. Rather than a special effects company, check out a sign face manufacturer. They will know just how to accomplish a desirable finished product.