• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you make this sign??? Help please :?

dman0427

I went to my chiropractor the other day and while I was there he showed me this sign he wants to change the hours on.

Its 1/8" clear acrylic with lettering applied from behind, with paint or vinyl applied over that (the bluish silver color) and then white vinyl on top of that (Looks like someone tried to peel it off.)
Then there is a piece of furious metal stuck on top of that.
Magnetic material holds the sign in place.

We don't do ADA signs or anything like this so I'm kind of stumped here. I'm thinking this has to be something standard that can be ordered.
Or should I just go ahead and fab this from scratch?

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 133

GB2

Old Member
That's an interesting design but you make it yourself of course, just as you described it. That isn't like any mass produced sign system I've ever seen.

garisimo

Reverse cut vinyl letters...

on clear polycarb, then backsprayed with the blue, and then laminated with the white vinyl...

-g-

dman0427

where would I get a super thin piece of metal to stick to the back? Its almost like a sheet of paper in thickness!

RJ California

Don't you just love crazy little jobs like these? You know that the perceived value of something like this for the customer is incredibly low -- yet they are incredibly high on our time consumption scale.
Would just standard 024 gauge steel be too thick?

Dave Drane

Just tell the chiropractor to get it fixed from the guy who made the sign. Whatever price you charge him he will say it is way too expensive, just like the hourly minimum limit you paid him. lol .

i know architectural sign companies that make signs in this manner simply to make it cost ineffective for another sign company to duplicate a one off sign and force them to order changes from them. they make duplicate parts at the time of the initial order and have them sitting in storage waiting for the day when a new tenant arrives. i have seen companies with hundreds upon hundreds of boxes for individual buildings with all of the components ready to assemble. not saying that it necessarily makes sense but i know more than one company that this is a standard practice.