• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you Mounting Pads to ACM ???

Barry Jenicek

Good Day Letter Heads!!

I have a client who has a 6 ft. x 6 ft. wooden sign that has 12, horizontal 1” x 6” x 6’ cedar boards. They had their Logo (a silhouette of a tree) painted BLACK directly on to the wooden horizontals.

Naturally, though the years, the boards absorbed moisture and have attacked the painted tree from behind thus, it is beginning to chip and peel.

To remove the painted image, I will either Power Wash the horizontal boards or run them through my Thickness Planer.

Using my CNC Router, my plan is to cut out their tree logo using 3 or 6mm BLACK ACM. Then, using GEMINI Round Perforated Pads with a 1” Threaded Rod, I plan to attach the tree to the original wooden plaqued sign. I want the Tree to be off-set from the back by approximately ¾”.

I will route a ¼” hole into the back of the ACM tree to a depth of 1/16”, thus allowing me to align the Rod (in the Pads) into the hole which will give me exact registration with the printed Pattern I will be making.

Which brings me to my questions…
  • What type of adhesive does one use to attach the Pads to the smooth ACM? (Silicone ??? J-B WELD Epoxy ??? … or What ???)

Naturally, I would scuff the back side of the ACM so the adhesive has something to “bite” into. My concern is that even though the surface is scuffed, will the adhesive hold up and not separate from the ACM? (They have a lot of wind in the area)

So, what adhesive would you use??? (Brand Name needed…Please be specific, not just Silicone…”GE Silicone Sealant” or whatever product you would use)

• Once attached to the wooden sign, I am concerned with expansion and contraction of the black ACM and the Boards. Since I will have a paper pattern and will be able to drill mounting holes exactly, I plan on drilling holes (into the wood) about twice the size of the threaded rods diameter…which would be ½”. More than likely, I would use some type of "Moveable" Silicone.

With the larger holes in the Wood, I am hoping that this will enable the sign to “Breath” (move). What say you?

Thanks in advance.

Bj

visual800

may i suggest, instead of gemini pads using circle cut from 3/4" pvc pads placed as you wish on rear of acm.

As far as adhesion on the rear of acm i would spray 2000 epoxy primer, available in spray can at auto paint suppliers also spray on front and back of pvc and using GE clear non paintable silicone. pvc pads will cover more area also

ProSignTN

If we are using 6mm Solid Core ACM, we use a couple of stainless screws along with VHB to secure pads. Have not failed yet.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Any reason you can't just screw your ACM panel to their wood sign?

unmateria

Lot of wing = screws (at least) for me
Anyway if you want to go that way, TRY (make tests before) sikatack + primer + activator. Are easy to use and we have very good results with things that cant be screwed

JBurton

Signtologist
Any reason you can't just screw your ACM panel to their wood sign?
Mostly some folks don't want to see the fasteners. I, for one, am pleased by the industrial look of hex heads every 12", banks, not so much.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Mostly some folks don't want to see the fasteners. I, for one, am pleased by the industrial look of hex heads every 12", banks, not so much.
Properly colored and countersunk cabinet screws are barely noticeable, even by banks.