Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you profile for reflective and translucent?

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by Gene@mpls, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Refl and trans need more color of course to avoid looking washed out. I
    understand that you can profile for the media- but that would be different,
    right? Maybe I am having a senior moment but I think I have been approaching this wrong. I am suddenly very confused. Thanks Gene

I know that one way of doing translucent is to print and then overlay the
    same print on clear but I don't do a lot of monument type signs- more smaller
    inserts for lightboxes, readerboards, ATMs and that ilk.

Tags:
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Translucent media is best profiled using a transmissive spectrophotometer, such as a DTP41T. Your i1 Pro is a reflective spectro, and is not the best type of device to use for that media. Reflective media can be problematic for reflective instruments as well.

3. e.borri

e.borri New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    The suggested way, using a transmissive spectrophotometer, is the right one!
    Talking about spectrophotometers, I saw great results using the Barbieri Spectro LFP. Here's the producer's page: http://www.barbierielectronic.com/p_spectroLFP.htm

Ciao
    Enzo