• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you remove the paint from the back of a mirror?

Pat Whatley

SOLUTION DISCOVERED!

So I tried CSDD and Border's idea and went to the AutoZone up the street (because it's closer than all the paint stores and hardware stores) and bought a spray can of Klene-Strip Tal Strip II.

Sweet Jesus this stuff is powerful. The instructions said to spray it and wait 20-30 minutes. Nope....FIVE MINUTES later I happened to walk past it and the paint is puckered up and soft. I didn't have a squegee nearby so I tried lifting a corner of the mirror....EVERY BIT of the paint slid off the back leaving a perfect copper sheen.

Pat Whatley

Here you go. I had to do it over with a broken piece to get the pics. When I say "misted" with the stripper that's really what I mean. It takes very, very little to just melt this stuff off.

Attachments

• the-stripper.jpg
    the-stripper.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 75
  • misted.jpg
    misted.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 87
  • lifted.jpg
    lifted.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 76
  • wiped.jpg
    wiped.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 92

Pat Whatley

I've got a quart of mirror silver remover that strips the silver down to bare glass almost instantly. I've got gelatin, fast size, 22k gold and copper leaf, 25 pounds of abrasive and a sandblast gun....not sure where this is going to end up but it's a hell of a lot more fun than sticking vinyl on coro.