• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion How do you see it? What is it going to take to survive the next few months?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
From now until next March 2021, these are the slowest months for most sign makers in the United States.

Wide open discussion. What comes to mind at first glance?

Is there a new normal? Or, is everything the same as last year?

Is there anything that you think can be done to better prepare for whatever comes?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Sharp scissors to help fight off the looters would be ideal.

On a serious note, I always thought it was just a select few printers that done yard signs in America. You’d need to have a really good setup to blast out the amount of yard signs you guys go through. Does it really go that quiet? Judging by some members posts on the forum they’re already quiet!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
7f9c73e.png

Oh you didn't mean that. Usually people save money during the busy season and live with that when it's slow.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well Robert..... I hafta hand it to ya..... ya finally come up with a subject worth discussing. Other than some of the nitwits, who think they're quite clever, this could be a good thread.

For me and ours...... I've never experienced so many turning of events from pandemics, to upheaval in the streets to the ever changing mediums from which to work. So, I can honestly say, I've never been prepared for this kinda scene. It's gonna be tough to actually call, but for us, we start getting many customers who are bringing vehicles in and small stuff to top off their budgets..... or they don't get it again next year. Have quite a few projects going, mostly small, but it is something and keeps the cash flow going.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I have found that signage in one form or another tends to tread on nomatter what's going on out there. Big ad budgets are generally slashed, but keeping the storefront looking sharp will never go out of style. Yard signs are inexpensive and work well. Banners get attention. Branding is critically important. Even the online guys buy alot of signs. We print tons of stuff for online retailers. We all just have to be ready for whatever comes our way. Keep testing markets. Keep looking for new opportunities. Promote like crazy. We'll get through it.

For us, the way I see it, 365 and 4ovr (Our two biggest competitors) are around $300 million in combined gross annual revenue. Their slowest months are still dozens, or even hundreds of times busier than our bust months. Plenty of work out there for us and Wyld to chip off and stay busy. They anger more customers in a day then we work with in a month. :D

twmiller24

We do usually slow down in the winter months, not to a stop, but it's a good time to do printer maintenance, train employees, learn new skills, and find new customers. The last few years, we haven't had much of a slowdown, though.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I won't be spending much of my hard earned extra money from the last few months just incase things are slower than usual. I have a little side business of making wood signs and sell them around the holidays, I'll be doing this again however, there aren't nearly the craft shows there have been in years past. It typically provided me with all my Christmas spending money and last year bought me a used snowmobile. It will be a good time for me to think up some new school apparel and school promo items to sell for next school year. Going through pricing, etc. Also, I think expanding on my online sales will be very important. If business slows down for me, I can always sell race car number sets on Ebay and Etsy which has been a proven winner for me in the past. I have some ramin noodles stored in my basement, hopefully I won't need to eat them this winter...

At any rate, it's my opinion if Trump gets in, we won't see much of a slow down. If Biden gets in, it may be slower than usual for a while until we see which direction his policies will take us. All the small businesses in my area have benefitted greatly from the strong economy and I believe a Biden win will scare them into saving their recent profits. Corona hasn't stopped most service based businesses in my area, after the initial shut-down they thrived. If we have another shut-down, our police/sheriff will not enforce it so it will be business as usual. Not to mention, the virus will go away with a vaccine certain to hit in the first quarter of 2021, the next president and his/her policies are here to stay for 4 years.

dypinc

Real voting is done with the feet and the pocketbook so it will take some time to find this out.

I am having two quotes coming in on printing equipment. If the current cheating has been enough to give it to the senile, corrupt pedophile with a communist running mate I can not take the risk on new equipment.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have been in the business for a few years... Presidential election years always end up being slow at the end. The uncertainty always slows things down, and then things pick back up. It's a collective, oh $h!T what's going to happen.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
f history has taught us anything, market leaders will grow stronger through all of this. Those that pivot and stay proactive. You have to get out there and hustle. Find your luck.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The excitement is pretty much gone for me. Win or lose, dragging this counting out is an absolute JOKE. No matter what side you're on, election night is exciting, it's like the Superbowl for me.

Allowing ballots to be counted until Nov 10? Who makes these laws up? Imagine if we ran our businesses the way some of these states run their elections. We would be out of business. I hope to see some law changes or you might lose a lot of enthusiasm for future elections.