Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you send large format files or reduce the file size?

Discussion in 'Clipart, Vehicle Templates and Digital Files' started by mmblarg, Jan 10, 2018.

1. mmblarg

mmblarg Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Rapid City, SD
    This is probably a silly question, but I recently ran into the issue of being unable to send a client a high res raster copy of their file due to the size. They are going to be creating a large back-lit sign from a previous 4x12 foot banner design (something we can't create for them and are more than happy to give them access to a non-editable file.) The issue with a raster image that large is the sheer size of the file that we are trying to send (199MB raw PDF or 44MB Zipfile) Sure, we an reduce the ppi (currently at 75ppi when fully enlarged) but we don't want to compromise the quality of the print.

So long story short, obviously can't e-mail the file and it was still too large for the file transfer site we use. Anyone have some tips and tricks?

2. you can send up to 2Go with WeTransfer ( wetransfer.com )

• Like Like x 3
  3. Asuma01

Asuma01 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Bend, OR
    Dropbox is my favorite because it acts just like a folder on your hard drive. Copy the finished art into the folder right click the file and select copy dropbox link. Then just paste the link into an email. You don't even have to wait for the file to finish uploading. Google Drive is free but slow. Those are the only two I would recommend. I'm sure there are others that I am unaware of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    I have used wetransfer, dropbox and hightail with no problems...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Active Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK

Maybe try google drive, dropbox, Adobe, pretty much any of the cloud sharing services.

6. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Google drive. You can mail a thumb drive too.

7. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Have a website? upload it there and send a link.

Barring that... Make a new Gmail account for your company. you get 15 GB of free space to use... should be more than adequate in just sending customers direct links of stuff.

8. untitled

untitled Member

May 27, 2014
    Canada
    Just throwing out another option. Microsoft OneDrive. If you have an Office365 Subscription for Word, Excell etc... then you will have an account already with a lot of storage. Works just like a drive on your computer and you can share files directly from file explorer, similar to what what Asuma01 said above.

9. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Been using hightail many years for free. Works just fine.

10. mmblarg

mmblarg Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Rapid City, SD
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'll test a couple of those sites since the owners aren't too keen on dropbox (no idea why, I just nod and smile haha.) We usually use yousendit.com which has failed in this regard.

11. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Google Drive. You can have multiple items in your drive and share individual items with specific email addresses. Works great for anything that is too large.

12. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    +10 for wetransfer.com All day er day.
    What I often do is send the files to my own email. Then copy the wetransfer link to a new email and send the client/vendor the link that way. It seems a bit cleaner for me to have my client/vendor get an email directly from me with with a embedded link, rather than getting an email from wetansfer, which my get ignored or sent to junk mail etc.

• Like Like x 1
  13. koz

koz New Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Novi, MI
    Wetransfer or Hightail - neither one will let you down.