• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you send large format files or reduce the file size?

mmblarg

This is probably a silly question, but I recently ran into the issue of being unable to send a client a high res raster copy of their file due to the size. They are going to be creating a large back-lit sign from a previous 4x12 foot banner design (something we can't create for them and are more than happy to give them access to a non-editable file.) The issue with a raster image that large is the sheer size of the file that we are trying to send (199MB raw PDF or 44MB Zipfile) Sure, we an reduce the ppi (currently at 75ppi when fully enlarged) but we don't want to compromise the quality of the print.

So long story short, obviously can't e-mail the file and it was still too large for the file transfer site we use. Anyone have some tips and tricks?

Asuma01

Dropbox is my favorite because it acts just like a folder on your hard drive. Copy the finished art into the folder right click the file and select copy dropbox link. Then just paste the link into an email. You don't even have to wait for the file to finish uploading. Google Drive is free but slow. Those are the only two I would recommend. I'm sure there are others that I am unaware of.

AKwrapguy

This is probably a silly question, but I recently ran into the issue of being unable to send a client a high res raster copy of their file due to the size. They are going to be creating a large back-lit sign from a previous 4x12 foot banner design (something we can't create for them and are more than happy to give them access to a non-editable file.) The issue with a raster image that large is the sheer size of the file that we are trying to send (199MB raw PDF or 44MB Zipfile) Sure, we an reduce the ppi (currently at 75ppi when fully enlarged) but we don't want to compromise the quality of the print.

So long story short, obviously can't e-mail the file and it was still too large for the file transfer site we use. Anyone have some tips and tricks?

Maybe try google drive, dropbox, Adobe, pretty much any of the cloud sharing services.

ikarasu

Have a website? upload it there and send a link.

Barring that... Make a new Gmail account for your company. you get 15 GB of free space to use... should be more than adequate in just sending customers direct links of stuff.

untitled

Just throwing out another option. Microsoft OneDrive. If you have an Office365 Subscription for Word, Excell etc... then you will have an account already with a lot of storage. Works just like a drive on your computer and you can share files directly from file explorer, similar to what what Asuma01 said above.

mmblarg

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'll test a couple of those sites since the owners aren't too keen on dropbox (no idea why, I just nod and smile haha.) We usually use yousendit.com which has failed in this regard.

Google Drive. You can have multiple items in your drive and share individual items with specific email addresses. Works great for anything that is too large.

OADesign

+10 for wetransfer.com All day er day.
What I often do is send the files to my own email. Then copy the wetransfer link to a new email and send the client/vendor the link that way. It seems a bit cleaner for me to have my client/vendor get an email directly from me with with a embedded link, rather than getting an email from wetansfer, which my get ignored or sent to junk mail etc.