Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion How do you stay organized?

Discussion in 'Business Management' started by White Haus, Jan 25, 2019.

1. rydods

rydods Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We are a small 3 employee business plus me and setup attached to my home. We use a mixture of dashboard time clock (3 employees free), trello and Estimate. I personally use wunderlist for all of my daily "to-dos" personal and business and I recommend it to my employees to keep organized. Trello and wunderlist are free but I'm looking into the benefits of the business class trello. It has a lot of cool features and "power-ups" that are really useful.

Estimate is monthly and we have 3 seats for everyone to enter and setup jobs so things can be quickly exported to quickbooks. Once or twice a year I look into a software program that does all of this in one. I try the free trial and my head spins. Most programs seem to require a full time person just to run it. I like to have access to everything everywhere. I had a bookkeeper who recently retired and I'm amazed at how easy it was to consolidate everything she did and split up her duties to myself and one other employee.

2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Timer is good. When I was running a busy shop my head would be everywhere and I would have NO time to think between the hours of 8am -5pm... and only after everyone was closed would I remember something I had to do.. I set alarms during the day to "STOP" and review my checklist and make sure time wasn't slipping away on something that needed to be done.

I'm much happier, organised and on top of EVERYTHING now that I'm running a one-man show from home... I do not miss those crazy days.

3. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    I keep a pocket notebook and pen on me. New prospects and new jobs get a manilla folder and put into a tickle file for further sales action or production. Digital files go into a simple directory based file system by customer/job. I use Quickbooks for estimates and invoices (and other tax and bookkeeping functions). Billed jobs go into an accounts receivable file, and when paid go into one of several file cabinets sorted by customer name. I use an iPhone and Mac computers for contacts, calendars and email. Really very simple and logical, and takes no time. I can understand why a large shop might benefit from a digital work-flow solution, but for under twenty or so employees this hybrid computer and old-fashioned paper and pencil system works just fine, and saves a ton of time!

4. MGB_LE

MGB_LE Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    So, as we approach the end of the year, how has it gone?

5. MGB_LE

MGB_LE Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Dallas, TX
  6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    One man operation so I only take on what I can get done in a timely manner. At a previous job I learned what happens when you constantly overbook available resources.

I keep track of jobs with a dry erase board, PO's, and texts. Last one is somewhat new to me and works well.

7. Sign consultant

Sign consultant Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Florida
    Why dont you out source all stuff as backend support with little fee?
    Just sharing thoughts and need your opinion on it.

8. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    I've changed my system 3 times this year LOL - I anticipate keeping this last system as it's working out well. Job boxes placed on narrow shelves with pink sticky To Do notes on them for items to order or to do. I can easily move them from one shelf to another as the job progresses and re-order them in order of importance. Ask again in 6 months and I'm sure I will be doing something different LOL