• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you store your scraps...

ilikespam9002

Im not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not but i have a lot of scraps in the shop that are good.Now i know that i should just trash em but as soon as i do someone will order it and ill have to get a new sheet and once again have more scrap.So any advice or pics on how you store scraps would be very helpful.Im also redesigning my bay area to more accomodate all of aspects.Such as building a small paint booth out of 10mil coro and shops fans that will fold up when not in use and getting a heavey curtain setup like at the hospital to seperate my cutting area from my vehicle install area.Well i hope my few ideas will help you as will yours help me.

Letterbox Mike

Scraps are a pain. We store a few usable scraps of most materials but try to make a conscious effort to trash as much as possible so they don't clutter up the shop. We just store them on shelves under work tables.

artbot

shipping container in the back yard, and or the hallway, living room, front entry way, family room, office, leaned up against garage door, back bedroom/etching studio.... i know that doesn't help, but it's my screwed up life.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
simple rack made from 2x4s secured to wall with a divider in the middle...we have two because the way the doors are in our bay area....one rack is about 10ft tall x 5ft wide (plexi in the back and alumalite/omegaboard in the front), the other rack is about 5ft tall and 9ft long (pvc in the back, coro in the front)

we try to keep the smaller scraps towards the front so it's easier to search....

cdiesel

We have a big box out back that we store ours in. It's picked up once a week by the garbage man.

Seriously, we keep a *few* scraps. The rest are dumped. We recycle our aluminum scraps...

in the garbage.

i spent years storing scraps . then i had so many scraps i couldnt find what i needed when i needed it, then i thought about how much space was spent storing scraps. just throw it away.

i just recently built a new sub rack for our full sheets and most cut pieces...

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 83

visualeyez

i just recently built a new sub rack for our full sheets and most cut pieces...

I have a sub rack a lot like that, however it has a bottom row 50" tall by 90" deep, and a top row that is 26" tall and 90" deep. This is for the full and partial sheets. For eveything else, it is stored in open top boxes.
In the back room I have a box for sintra scraps, dibond, aluminum, coro, acryllic, polycarb, etc.
In another room (on a folding table) I have my cast vinyl scraps seperated into open top boxes, rolled up. A box for black and white, a box for all the blues, a box for all the greens, etc.
I stock 6 colors of calendered vinyl and have a box for each right near the plotter. I also have a box full of magnetic scrap, a box of rolled up banner material, gloss laminate, matte laminate, etc.
One thing I don't try to reuse is scrap digital print media, but it does work on occasion and I wipe it with alcohol first.
I throw away anything under 12" on the smallest dimension, but I do have a box of random small vinyl scraps to use instead of masking tape.
I also save vinyl backing and use it to hold scrap transfer tape at times.
When a box is full, I throw new scrap away.
You'd be suprised by how many orders I can produce from what most folks call waste. Not a small shop, just being efficient in a green community.

mark in tx

Unless the scrap is at least an 18x24, then throw it out.
My life has been so much simpler after I adopted that rule.

I save all aluminum for an end of the year trip to the recycler, which has paid for some nice fishing trips for the crew.

TXGraphix24

Like everyone has said, if the scrap is larger then 12 inchs i will most likely keep it. I have 4 USPS mail carries that i sepereate metal, vinyl, plastics and whatever else.

btropical.com

We are on our 3rd garbage can stuffed full of old vinyl , I mean old stuff on rolls samples from 2007 sign show . Anyone want a vintage badge o minute set ?