• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you trim vinyl when using foamboard

tanisha

I've recently been asked to do some foamboards for a customer to which i said yes no problem.... whyyyy did i say yes. I printed the vinyl and then applied using the laminator and then trimmed the excess vinyl, however it just looks messy or I end up cutting into the foam. I then thought ok ill trim a couple mm off the foam, yep that didn't work, half way down big chunks of foam came away and left it worse than before. How can I trim the vinyl without cutting into the board? Also just to add, I've never applied vinyl using the laminator before (we don't get on) but oh my god how easy and quick is it?? Life changing haha.

ikarasu

Flip it over and trim that way.

The easiest way is to cut it down from sheet size after its mounted. Cutting a MM or two off causes tear out because the foam can move freely... If you're cutting a quarter of an inch in, theres no tear out. You can also cut at a slight angle, And it'll prevent the tear out as well. Most important thing is a sharp blade though.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Flip it over and trim that way.

The easiest way is to cut it down from sheet size after its mounted. Cutting a MM or two off causes tar out because the foam can move freely... If you're cutting a quarter of an inch in, theres no tear out. You can also cut at a slight angle, And it'll prevent the tear out as well. Most important thing is a sharp blade though.

That, right there.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
For us that is “old school” so to speak as we print with our flatbed. However, for the best results I’d suggest print with bleed, apply to your foamcore and THEN trim. This will give you the best results.

A SHARP BLADE IS A MUST AND MAY TAKE A FEW PASSES. CHANGE THE BLADE IF NEEDED FOR BEAT RESULTS.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Before we got a flatbed printer, we would mount then cut it. Never had any issues cutting foam core with or without vinyl .
+4 for a sharp blade.

guillermo

I've recently been asked to do some foamboards for a customer to which i said yes no problem.... whyyyy did i say yes. I printed the vinyl and then applied using the laminator and then trimmed the excess vinyl, however it just looks messy or I end up cutting into the foam. I then thought ok ill trim a couple mm off the foam, yep that didn't work, half way down big chunks of foam came away and left it worse than before. How can I trim the vinyl without cutting into the board? Also just to add, I've never applied vinyl using the laminator before (we don't get on) but oh my god how easy and quick is it?? Life changing haha.
How to you trim the vinyl without cutting the foam board?

As I understand, you want to cut the vinyl but not the foamboard, is this is correct, cut the vinyl first and then mount on foamboard.

now if you want to cut the mounted graphic, then use a good ruler and a sharp blade, I am able to cut about 1/16" with not problem, the trick is the blade. In case I see that it may ruin the edge of the foamboard, I will do my first cut very soft, to make a mark, then again, softly, and so on until you cut all the way down. it works for me ALL the time.

Super sharp xacto knife, keep your blade parallel to straight edge so you don't cut into the foamboard. If you're cutting through the foamboard too, score the top layer, don't try to cut through to the bottom, it will crush the foam inbetween and give you ragged edges. Score, score, score. We use ultraboard instead of foamcore (way too soft). Easy Peasy.